High Mileage Sport Trac 250K and counting | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage Sport Trac 250K and counting

Instead of over riding that starter relay just press gas pedal to floor before cranking then 4 short cranks while observing the oil pressure gauge once gauge moves remove foot from gas pedal then start 👍🏻

That sequence is called flood mode!
Hey OK, thanks for that tip. I recall reading somewhere about that feature and actually doing it once or twice in the past. A friend of mine installed a separate oil priming pump for his old Ford or Chevy that he used when his truck sat for long periods.....sort of like used for some small airplanes to help reduce wear on startup. I actually thought about coming up with an ignition relay that would prevent startup until the oil pressure increased during the startup; however, not there yet.... Regards, gary.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey OK, thanks for that tip. I recall reading somewhere about that feature and actually doing it once or twice in the past. A friend of mine installed a separate oil priming pump for his old Ford or Chevy that he used when his truck sat for long periods.....sort of like used for some small airplanes to help reduce wear on startup. I actually thought about coming up with an ignition relay that would prevent startup until the oil pressure increased during the startup; however, not there yet.... Regards, gary.
try it first on a warm motor, since ya dont wanna rev out a cold one. just in case the throttle cable is stretched too much and it doesnt register WOT. WOT+starter=clear flood mode. if its stretched and doesnt register WOT use zip ties to take up the slack. pre oiler is also an option @donalds is the resident expert. i do wonder, however, is spinning thes engine over, albeit at a low rpm could cause extra bearing wear etc? @donalds any insight?

try it first on a warm motor, since ya dont wanna rev out a cold one. just in case the throttle cable is stretched too much and it doesnt register WOT. WOT+starter=clear flood mode. if its stretched and doesnt register WOT use zip ties to take up the slack. pre oiler is also an option @donalds is the resident expert. i do wonder, however, is spinning thes engine over, albeit at a low rpm could cause extra bearing wear etc? @donalds any insight?
I don't think spinning the motor over will harm anything although the pre oiler does do a better job
I love my pre oiler save me so much money so far

Good suggestion for checking the WOT function. I looked at donalds page and he is an incredible resource for info and experience re the Gen1 STs. He's all over the timing chain tensioner issue(s). I have the Cloye's replacement tensioners and haven't installed them yet because of concerns with the rest of the assembly conditions. Someone else pointed out that when the tensioners bleed down the loose timing chain slapping the assembly beats them up......I think I've avoided that resultant damage by using my technique for the last 10 years or so. Donalds tensioner cutaway video has just about convinced me that I ought to change them because mine are worn out like he showed. I didn't know that they are recommended for replacement at 60K.....good info here. I'm no fan of the pre-oiler either and really like my dash mounted prime button that I use whenever the ST has been sitting for more than a day.....I just press it for about 5 seconds of cranking and then startup with absolutely no rattling!

Good suggestion for checking the WOT function. I looked at donalds page and he is an incredible resource for info and experience re the Gen1 STs. He's all over the timing chain tensioner issue(s). I have the Cloye's replacement tensioners and haven't installed them yet because of concerns with the rest of the assembly conditions. Someone else pointed out that when the tensioners bleed down the loose timing chain slapping the assembly beats them up......I think I've avoided that resultant damage by using my technique for the last 10 years or so. Donalds tensioner cutaway video has just about convinced me that I ought to change them because mine are worn out like he showed. I didn't know that they are recommended for replacement at 60K.....good info here. I'm no fan of the pre-oiler either and really like my dash mounted prime button that I use whenever the ST has been sitting for more than a day.....I just press it for about 5 seconds of cranking and then startup with absolutely no rattling!
yes, donald is a very smart fellow! :)

I could never get mine to do the flood mode. Already has the throttle cable slack removed. It just revs way up. 265k here, already had to do my chains and guides and get the heads rebuilt.

I could never get mine to do the flood mode. Already has the throttle cable slack removed. It just revs way up. 265k here, already had to do my chains and guides and get the heads rebuilt.
interesting. did the tps register wot?

I'm not sure, I haven't tried it since

Flood mode is built into all ford vehicles even with push button start but they require a different process!

Flood mode is built into all ford vehicles even with push button start but they require a different process
Wish I could get it to work on my truck
they must have forgot mine that day

Wish I could get it to work on my truck

they must have forgot mine that day

Go to YouTube look for ford boss me channel he's a Ford master technician and ask him why your truck is special lol

Back