Looking For Low Mileage Sport Trac 01-05 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking For Low Mileage Sport Trac 01-05

NewTrac17

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac XLT 4X4
Looking for:
01-05 explorer sport trac
4wd
Automatic
Looking for under 70K miles
The exterior and interior colors I don't have a preference because of my budget.
Budget is around $10,000, but can flex either way. (I want to have some money left to modify it)

Ideally if the sport trac was located in Norther Colorado, that would be preferred, but I could drive a little ways. Might consider shipping from a reputable dealer. I know people who have gotten cars off carmax and are happy with them.

Planned modifications:
3in bodylift
TT
AAL
MB TKO rims
Maybe magnaflow exhaust
Cold air intake
Not sure on the tire yet

Thanks in Advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Boy, that will be a tough buy with that low of miles for under 10 K, a quick look at Cars.com shows you need to add about 4-5 K and then there are 2 in CO. Good Luck!

If you find any 68 Shelby Mustangs with less than 70K for under 10K let ME know.. GT 350 or GT 500...not too picky there!

I found a yellow one with a supercharger couple weeks ago but might be gone by now was on Craigslist

Trackerforsport - I did see those 2 sport tracs listed for another 4-5 k, but being in high school, money is kind of tight when I mainly work full time during the summer.

I found a 2005 sport trac with 39k miles for $12,500 from a dealer out east, but then I have shipping costs, but may spend more money depending on how low the miles are.

I'll keep my eyes out for any 68 Shelby Mustangs and keep you posted if I see any deals. Are you looking for a full on restoration project?

mustang6878 - This one http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=SWAP&VIEW=1334316

Thanks for the replies!

I'm selling my 2002 with 140K and a 5 speed, not what you are looking for but price is much lower... I'm in the Denver area if interested.

I'm selling my 2002 with 140K and a 5 speed, not what you are looking for but price is much lower... I'm in the Denver area if interested.

Thanks for the offer, but I am wanting a sport trac with lower miles, so I hopefully don't have to buy another car for 10+ years. Good luck with the sell though!

It's been a trouble free ownership so I think your plan is sound. I bought it with 73k miles and been happy but I needed a automatic and ended up buying a V8 Explorer. Good luck in your search.

I paid $11,000 for mine a year ago, with 63,500 miles on it, and it has zero options, aside from 4WD and automatic trans. It has a past salvage title, but aside from a couple of flaws in the paint, it's super clean - inside , outside, under the hood and underneath. That was way more than I wanted to spend, but my thinking was like yours - I tend to keep my vehicles for years, and it made more sense to pay more for fewer miles than spend $8000 for one with 133,000 miles and have to replace it or make major repairs in a few years.

I've seen a few here in Ia in the last year with 57,000 to 85,000 miles and loaded with options, but they were/are on dealer lots and they were asking $13-15,000. Ones with 100,000 miles and more were almost all priced at $7999.

Your thinking is sound, but you may have to get one with more miles for the money you have.

I paid $11,000 for mine a year ago, with 63,500 miles on it, and it has zero options, aside from 4WD and automatic trans. It has a past salvage title, but aside from a couple of flaws in the paint, it's super clean - inside , outside, under the hood and underneath. That was way more than I wanted to spend, but my thinking was like yours - I tend to keep my vehicles for years, and it made more sense to pay more for fewer miles than spend $8000 for one with 133,000 miles and have to replace it or make major repairs in a few years.

I've seen a few here in Ia in the last year with 57,000 to 85,000 miles and loaded with options, but they were/are on dealer lots and they were asking $13-15,000. Ones with 100,000 miles and more were almost all priced at $7999.

Your thinking is sound, but you may have to get one with more miles for the money you have.

I have considered vehicles is minor accidents, but not salvage titles. Why does your truck have a salvage title?

A few months ago I was looking at a sport trac that was in a minor accident, needed front bumper cover, front bumper brackets, front bumper reinforcement, headlights, header panel, rear bumper reinforcement, rear bumper brackets, and rear bumper cover. It had 60k miles and the asking price was $5,900. It was sold right after I looked at it, but it was a pretty good price and a good truck to build from.

It is hard to find what I want with my budget. I probably could do around $12,000 max spending for the truck, then still have money left do do what I want to do to it.

Found this a few days ago, but it sold yesterday: http://www.unitedautosales.com/detail.aspx?id=3816018&PrefID=0&.aspx

I don't know why it had a prior salvage title. Salesman said it was mostly damage to the box, but I don't know for sure. I'm sure the whole truck has been repainted. It runs and drives like new. The engine compartment is unbelievably clean, as is the undercarriage. Wrecked vehicles can be fixed almost as good as new IF the work is done properly and with care.

Also doesn't take a whole lot of damage to total a vehicle. I bought my 17 yr old daughter a clean '02 Sable with 112,500 miles in August. 6 weeks later, another driver merged into her right front corner in front of the tire. The whole inner structure was bent in in front of the suspension, fender dented of course, headlight broken, mirror knocked off. The hood is messed up, but still opens with no problem. The back door was dented when they spun and hit again. If the inner structure had moved in another inch it would have been into the engine. We paid $3200 for the car. State Farm totaled it and offered us $4300 and they got the car, or $3750 and we kept the car. We kept it since she hadn't stopped driving it. It seems to drive fine. I couldn't get anything to budge to straighten it, but with some trimming I got a headlight back in it, put a mirror on, and she hasn't missed a minute of driving it (which was more important to her than the way it looks).

Oh yeah, the Sable was also a prior salvage when we bought it, but you couldn't tell it had been damaged and repaired.

I don't know why it had a prior salvage title. Salesman said it was mostly damage to the box, but I don't know for sure. I'm sure the whole truck has been repainted. It runs and drives like new. The engine compartment is unbelievably clean, as is the undercarriage. Wrecked vehicles can be fixed almost as good as new IF the work is done properly and with care.

Also doesn't take a whole lot of damage to total a vehicle. I bought my 17 yr old daughter a clean '02 Sable with 112,500 miles in August. 6 weeks later, another driver merged into her right front corner in front of the tire. The whole inner structure was bent in in front of the suspension, fender dented of course, headlight broken, mirror knocked off. The hood is messed up, but still opens with no problem. The back door was dented when they spun and hit again. If the inner structure had moved in another inch it would have been into the engine. We paid $3200 for the car. State Farm totaled it and offered us $4300 and they got the car, or $3750 and we kept the car. We kept it since she hadn't stopped driving it. It seems to drive fine. I couldn't get anything to budge to straighten it, but with some trimming I got a headlight back in it, put a mirror on, and she hasn't missed a minute of driving it (which was more important to her than the way it looks).

Oh yeah, the Sable was also a prior salvage when we bought it, but you couldn't tell it had been damaged and repaired.

These days cars get totaled easily because they just crumble, or if the vehicle isn't worth fixing.

As long as the repair work was good, then a salvage vehicle will be okay.

good luck i got my 05 in august 2011 and it cost 14.5K good luck and shop around being in denver you get more options in crappid shi**y im kinda screwed. prices in denver vs. here are easily 2-3K less

good luck i got my 05 in august 2011 and it cost 14.5K good luck and shop around being in denver you get more options in crappid shi**y im kinda screwed. prices in denver vs. here are easily 2-3K less

I am in Fort Collins, but I can imagine the price varying by quite a bit depending on were you are. The prices of sport tracs near by seem ridiculously especially with how many miles they have, but some good deals are out there. If you don't get on a deal shortly after it is posted, then it is sold! I missed out on a 2003 sport trac that was in denver that only had 73k miles and the asking price was $7,000. 4wd, automatic, and in excellent condition.

2001 Sport trac 73.5k miles for $9,000, but located in st louis, MO: http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/4229704267.html

mine was 14.5 with 53K on the clock. its an XLS with 4X4 and 3.73 LS thats it... no fogs, no hitch, no keyless, no full console or sunroof. but i wanted a near empty slate to add what i wanted and not have to work around factory equipment

Options are nice, but unnecessary. I wish mine had cruise control, but otherwise I'm happy without all the options - especially when I read about the problems with the wiring in the tilt wheel.

mine was 14.5 with 53K on the clock. its an XLS with 4X4 and 3.73 LS thats it... no fogs, no hitch, no keyless, no full console or sunroof. but i wanted a near empty slate to add what i wanted and not have to work around factory equipment

You got a pretty good deal on your sport trac then if it was only 6 years old. Having a plain jane st is a good place to start so you can look back after all the mods and see how far you have come, plus you get to learn your truck.

I would like cruise control though as an option. I think in 01 the option wasn't available. (Although.....I am afraid to use the cruise control on my explorer. Once my explorer just completely died without warning and it seems the 02-04 explorer have a cruise control issue.)

My Job1 '01 ST has cruise control. I bought it in 2010 with 56k miles for a bit over $9k. Worth every penny even for a ten year old vehicle. Now approaching 110k miles and the only failure has been the steering rack, probably due in no small part to steel wheels and 35" tires. Basic maintenance and upgraded suspension parts have been my only other expenses to date. The interior is still fresh and the leather looks good. Everything works every time except one map light that was out the day I bought it (I just don't care; I don't read and drive). She cleans up good and looks proper when dirty.

If you think the low mileage ones are fetching a high price, you're right. And they should. These are good trucks in my biased opinion.

Similar to offtrac I got my 02 4x4 fully loaded with sunroof, leather seats, tonneau cover and only had 43K miles. I swear it was like I picked it from the dealer. All for $9k!!

Should have been around when I was selling mine............

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW! I am realizing that there are better deals from dealers these days vs. private parties asking $7k for their sport trac with 200k miles. Crazy! If there is a deal on Craigslist though, it is gone fast.

In delaware I found a 2005 sport trac with 39k miles for $12.5k, so deals are out there. Shipping would be around $1,000 to get it to Colorado though, and I am a little skeptical about not personally seeing a vehicle.

Also out east seems to have better deals than out west.

OffTrac - you got a sweet deal! You learn something new everyday. I thought 01 sport tracs didn't have cruise control.

Demo1986 - you also got an amazing deal!

ncranchero - shoot, missed out.

Is their a thread for sport tracs listed for sale somewhere in the 01-05 sport trac forms?

Even today I would jump on a sport trac that had between 40-50k miles for $9k.

Back