• Register Today It's free!

high oil consumption

nexpo

Reaction score
City, State
medford newyork
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
i have a 93 xlt that i recently picked up for 500.00. it was a county vehicle that has been out of service for over 2years. it only has 37k original miles on it so i thought i was getting a steal. i have done some work to it so far like battery,master cylinder, front brakes and thermastat and radiator,oil change, af change,pvc valve, and fuel filter. my problem is that since i started driving it i have to put a quart of oil in almost every 100 - 150 miles. i dont seem to notice any smoke when i drive but cant tell for sure since it is mostly highway driving, and the truck runs like new. any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

um does the 93 go more then just 99,999 miles like my 92. cause if not that could be 137,000 or more

it does have the extra digit so the mileage wont flip, besides it used to be my father inlaws county vehicle so i know mileage is correct. he got a new one a few years ago and that just sat in their garage untouched.

my 94 ex sport didnt have the hundredths place...

My 93 says 7,000 miles currently but it really has 207,000 miles. They do not have the extra digit, unless they changed it mid-year.

yuppers my 93 only says 19,000 miles but I know its 219,000 its also a late model 93 so not mid year change and the fact the 94's are the same rules it out also. The tenth of a mile spot dose not count as a part of the real mileage numbers.

Now for burning oil check your plugs see if they show it if so a compression test both dry and wet on it. could also be a gasket or valve seals or many other things so best thing to do is try to find out at lest were the oil is going and then trouble shoot from there but right now to little info to really offer much help to you.

thanks guys, as for the odometer it reads 037760 and 4tenths. not sure why yours are different. i have already noticed that the intake bolts were loose. hopefully thats it

Nepo Do you know if you have a stock Speedo? . I did some research and in fact almost all stock ones (1991 to 1994) came with only a 6 digit read outs now there is a few exceptions to this as it seams New Your state had a requirement for a 7 digit read out odometer. I can not find any other state that had it so most likely that is were your truck started life. Kind of the same deal with the EGR on the 91 and 92 models as that was a Calif requirement for them to sale the explorer in the state. So if that is the case you have a rage bird in deed as the majority are only 6 digits.

I wonder if mine is an exception as well. Mine is from Canada and it has 7 digits and currently reads 300041.6 KM's. I am pretty sure this is the stock speedo.

yea mine is only 6 digits

its has rolled over once and is at 180,000 and i have had no porbelm with oil consumption. it only leaks from the rear main but barely. its just little drops everyday. and i have a replacement motorto go in it if anything ever happens.

when youfix your problem you will be very happy with it. i have nothing but goodtimes with mine. besy 800 bucks ever spent.

4.0L are notorious for oil leaks, i would check that first.

the loose intake bolts were it. just put 200 miles and havent lost any oil. thats wierd how they loosen up. its also wierd how my speedo is different than everyone elses, it was a county vehicle so maybe thats why? everything on the truck is original.

the loose intake bolts were it. just put 200 miles and havent lost any oil. thats wierd how they loosen up. its also wierd how my speedo is different than everyone elses, it was a county vehicle so maybe thats why? everything on the truck is original.

pics?

Mine leaked oil from the day it was sold new. I am the 3rd owner but I did get a chance to talk to the first two owners when I bought it. they also said it used oil one qt about every 3,000 miles well at a bit over 200,000 miles because of this sight I had a go at the lower intake bolts and from then on no more oil use or leaking. The first to had it in to Ford many times trying to get that fixed with never any luck. Just shows what a gathering of the minds here can do and is worth.

as for the 6 or 7 place odometers well best I have ever found is that the state of New York demanded a 7 place one for all autos sold in there stat to help stop odometer roll back or out of limit odometer fraud from people saying a auto had xx,x.. miles when the fact was it had x..,xxxx miles. Kind of like how some 91 and 02 have a EGR system because of Calif demanding it for autos sold in there state. just a bunch of crazy patch work laws if you ask me and with stats trying to say they know better then any one other or what I call the nanny state we will think for you mentality.

Mines got 294,300 on it now and it might use between 1/2 and a full quart in 3,000 miles....if you're adding a quart every 150 miles you should be noticing something major.

Dont forget guys, If this is a police vehicle, it's very possible it uses a different cluster with a police calibrated speedo and all that jazz.

Dont forget guys, If this is a police vehicle, it's very possible it uses a different cluster with a police calibrated speedo and all that jazz.

That would be true but it should not have any bearing on the odometer numbers just the acrasey of the Speedo its self I would think.

Still looking and still only New York comes up with the seven digit odometers being needed before they could be sold when new.

Back