High Volume oil pump in a 5.0. Who has done it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Volume oil pump in a 5.0. Who has done it?

boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
First off I am using a Melling High volume oil pump part M68HU. Compared to the stock pump its almost a 1/2" Taller. The factory 4 bolts on the bottom are a lot shorter than on the high flow so I swapped them for more clearance.

The part that comes up short is the oil pan. I need another 1/4" still. I have made some nice dents in the oil pan with my air hammer to get where I am. I am going to try to stretch it some more but i have the feeling its gonna crack. I have a press but where it needs room is too close to the edge to get it in the press good.

Is there any oother 302 pans that could fit in our trucks? There is about 1" gap under the oil pan now.

Here is some pics where I am at

oil_pump_1.jpg

oil_pump_2.jpg

oil_pan.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could hammer on it until it cracks then weld up the weak areas once you have enough clearance.

The high volume pump isn't necessary although when I rebuilt my 5.0 I too used one. The oil pan in the mustang didn't have any clearance issues. Nice to know that if I ever add a couple turbo chargers I'll have more then enough flow/pressure I guess.

I was told by an engine builder of 30+ years, that the stock pump is more then capable.

Good luck.

Forced induction could very possibly be in the future. Not to mention the price I got the pump for ($30).

Good price, did you use the upgraded chrome moly oil pump driveshaft as well?

The reason I was told not to use the HV pump was it wasted power to turn it. I didn't really care about that.

Sure did. I wouldn't think the high volume pump would cost more than 1 or 2 hp. The motor I am planning on swapping in has 57k on it so I am replacing the things that are easy to do sitting on the engine stand. It also will be revving higher than factory to around 5500.

I'd avoid the high volume pumps unless you run much higher rpm and a larger capacity pan, like 7000rpm and 7 quarts.

I'm lining up a 347 and by the builders recommendation I could use a normal or high pressure pump. He suggested the high pressure pump for minor insurance, it will not require any pan or bearing clearance changes. High volume pumps are best for very high end racing, and a little more bearing clearance, and bigger pan sizes.

I suggest that you save/sell that pump and use a stock volume pump. It's not needed for our 5000 rpm or so engines. Regards,

I have actually heard in higher RPM situationsor on steep angles offroad, they can actually suck the pan dry. Its not needed for a stock engine.

Back