Highway shudder | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Highway shudder

2013 Sport as well with the exact same concern where it was shuddering when any gas was given (steady speed or accelerating). Found the Front Right CV axle leaking. Bought my Motorcraft replacement from Rock auto and installed it last weekend. Sadly, the new one apparently had a tear in the boot because it is leaking already. Have a warranty replacement coming from RockAuto Friday for a second replacement in as many weekends.

There are 2 main comments I want to make here.
1. The new Motorcraft axle will look different. Lineup is the same but there are subtle differences like the gap near the bearing.
View attachment 319748
2. Tsuga, I'd make sure the other axles are not leaking as well. Given you feel shudder up front make certain the driver side axle is also in good shape.
I recently had the timing chain and the water the pump replace and the shuddering is gone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Coincidentally I have been through a very similar experience this week.

Noticed grease on inside of drivers side front wheel and diagnose as split in CV boot. Take it to shop and the first shock is that you can just replace, what would be, a $50 boot. Instead you need the whole @#$@#% axle.
They call me to say they've replaced the axle but there is a noise upon acceleration from still. They are going to source a second from their supplier.
They call me to say second axle is making the same noise and are now going to go with the Ford part.

Install Ford axle and all is good, 600 Candian later... :(

Given it is a part spinning like no other on the car I figured I'd go with the Motorcraft version, and I didn't see any concerns on here (and other forums) about the OEM versions from Motorcraft. In fact, the OEM version of CV axles use better boots than the standard aftermarket version, typically. Glad you got it solved, but $600 Snowy Dollars later? I got the axle for ~$200 US and changing it wasn't hard if you have a few basic mechanics tools.

I recently had the timing chain and the water the pump replace and the shuddering is gone.
I know it’s been a while, but to confirm, the timing chain replacement and water pump replacement completely resolved your shuddering at high way speeds @ ~1500rpm?

Hi everyone. Its been a long time since I posted.
Been having an issue with my 2016 Explorer Sport(well a couple but this is the most annoying one). Anytime I'm travelling at highway speeds, 6th gear between 80-100 kph, I get a shake or shudder. It happens when cruising at steady speed, or slightly speeding up. More noticeable when going up hill. If I push harder on the accelerator to make it drop down a gear it goes away. Also goes away when coasting. You can also see the tach bouncing around.
Been to dealer several times. They've replaced the throttle body,ignition coils and plugs thinking it was a misfire issue. That did not fix the issue. Naturally the technician threw those parts in it and gave the car back to us, saying it was fixed. Guess the guy never drove it on the freeway after repair, since the techs probably don't get paid to do that. Customers are suppose to test drive their own cars!

We told the dealer to keep the car till it's fixed and to give us a loaner. They then replaced the torque convertor in the transmission. The issue seems to be a lot better but can still subtly feel it still from time to time.

Anybody else notice this issue at all. No info on the net at all!

Of course I'm in the dog house since I pushed my wife to get the Explorer over the Toyota Highlander(boring!!) Now I get to constantly hear "Why the f@#k didn't we get a reliable Toyota"
Did you ever get a resolution to the shudder?

I know it’s been a while, but to confirm, the timing chain replacement and water pump replacement completely resolved your shuddering at high way speeds @ ~1500rpm?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
The member you quoted was last seen here in January and madconcept was last seen in April 2019.

Peter

I'm experiencing the same issue. 6th gear, light to moderate throttle, starts at 50 mph until 60 +/-. Sometimes more noticeable than others, but always the most severe during the first drive of the day. Feels like a lugging you would experience driving a manual trans in top gear too slow. I took it to the dealership last Monday and the tech did a mode 06 scan and said it showed a misfire, but he was unsure of the cause. He noted in the paperwork that it only happened when the a/c was on, even though I told the service advisor that it happens when the a/c is off as well. I took it back this past Monday and when I checked in they said it was fixed. The tech determined it was a bad a/c compressor, even though I told them it does it with the a/c off. So after paying $100 deductible I have a new compressor, fully charged a/c system, and a shudder between 50-60 mph...
BTW I also had the trans flushed with a fluid change and PTU fluid change this morning and the shudder still exists.

Hi everyone, still do you have the same issues with shuddering in 60 to 65km/h and 80 to 85km/h when RPM in 1500 to 1800 , i have the same issues with my ford explorer 2021 limit 2.3L , is there any updates for fixing it?

I'm experiencing the same issue. 6th gear, light to moderate throttle, starts at 50 mph until 60 +/-. Sometimes more noticeable than others, but always the most severe during the first drive of the day. Feels like a lugging you would experience driving a manual trans in top gear too slow. I took it to the dealership last Monday and the tech did a mode 06 scan and said it showed a misfire, but he was unsure of the cause. He noted in the paperwork that it only happened when the a/c was on, even though I told the service advisor that it happens when the a/c is off as well. I took it back this past Monday and when I checked in they said it was fixed. The tech determined it was a bad a/c compressor, even though I told them it does it with the a/c off. So after paying $100 deductible I have a new compressor, fully charged a/c system, and a shudder between 50-60 mph...
BTW I also had the trans flushed with a fluid change and PTU fluid change this morning and the shudder still exists.
Any update on this issue?

Peter

Hi everyone, still do you have the same issues with shuddering in 60 to 65km/h and 80 to 85km/h when RPM in 1500 to 1800 , i have the same issues with my ford explorer 2021 limit 2.3L , is there any updates for fixing it?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Something like this is difficult to diagnose over the internet. There are likely a few things that could cause that. Transmission, tire balance/alignment. Worn or damaged front-end parts.

Peter

Back