2012 Explorer ABS light, Hill Descent, , Terrain Management, Check Brake System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer ABS light, Hill Descent, , Terrain Management, Check Brake System

skycar02

Reaction score
City, State
Los angeles, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Base
Hey all I bought a 2012 Base model explorer yesterday and it came with these errors: Hill descent control fault, Terrain management fault, Check Brake system, and service Advancetrac. The truck drives perfectly and shifts just fine. Took the car to autozone and they said the battery was fine. Any solutions?

Attachments

• 1589498660290.png
    1589498660290.png
    82.1 KB · Views: 196
  • 1589498828235.png
    1589498828235.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 141

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did they happen to scan for error codes? If there were any, that would be helpful in trying to determine what the issue might be.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Did they happen to scan for error codes? If there were any, that would be helpful in trying to determine what the issue might be.

Peter
No error codes, got scanned with a Snapon scanner and it showed ABS module lost communication.

No error codes, got scanned with a Snapon scanner and it showed ABS module lost communication.
My Explorer just started doing the same thing, every light is lit now.

My Explorer just started doing the same thing, every light is lit now.
If you are not having any issues with steering, check your battery. A weak or bad battery has been know to light up the dash like a "Christmas tree" as a few members have posted. That would be the first thing to rule out.

Peter

Sounds like your abs worn out. I live in a dirt road area, and my ‘17 abs has magnetic strips(not sure what year they switched out to magnetic). Went through 5 rears in 3 years. Always has the same dash warnings as yours. Now that warranty is expired am contemplating if should Replace now, or wait til snow falls. But they did show a code on scanner, just not sure what type of scanner local shop uses.

Sounds like your abs worn out. I live in a dirt road area, and my ‘17 abs has magnetic strips(not sure what year they switched out to magnetic). Went through 5 rears in 3 years. Always has the same dash warnings as yours. Now that warranty is expired am contemplating if should Replace now, or wait til snow falls. But they did show a code on scanner, just not sure what type of scanner local shop uses.

Looked it at on the scanner at work....codes reset but on start up they light up again.....code 300 or something like that, I believe you are correct that the ABS module is worn out. THnak you fo rthe reply.....what did it cost you???

Was under
Looked it at on the scanner at work....codes reset but on start up they light up again.....code 300 or something like that, I believe you are correct that the ABS module is worn out. THnak you fo rthe reply.....what did it cost you???
warranty yet so no cost. Still haven’t gotten around to ordering some. Seems in the couple hundred dollar range each

I've recently had the same issue on my 14 Sport. All the same lights are signing but No codes with my OBD2 scanner and torque app but Forscan showed that I have a bad wheel speed sensor. So glad I don't have to bring my rig back to the dealer service center...

Hey all I bought a 2012 Base model explorer yesterday and it came with these errors: Hill descent control fault, Terrain management fault, Check Brake system, and service Advancetrac. The truck drives perfectly and shifts just fine. Took the car to autozone and they said the battery was fine. Any solutions?
What did you find fixed your issue? i'm having the same problem now with my 2014 Ford Explorer

I have the same nthing on my 2011, limited. I believe it is something in the ABS system. We dont have snow or hills here in SW Florida, so I decided not to fix it

I have the same nthing on my 2011, limited. I believe it is something in the ABS system. We dont have snow or hills here in SW Florida, so I decided not to fix it
"On vehicles with ABS, a bad wheel speed sensor will trigger an ABS light. Most ABS systems cannot function properly without a good signal from all four wheel speed sensors. If you see the ABS light illuminated, don’t expect your ABS system to help you out if you need to brake hard."

Peter

Sorry. Haven’t been on in a while. It was the ABS wheel sensor (click to redirect to part). Can cross reference your year and if you have park assist or not. As there is different types with different years and think only two differences I seen were park assist, and without. Could be wrong though.

What did you find fixed your issue? i'm having the same problem now with my 2014 Ford Explorer

"On vehicles with ABS, a bad wheel speed sensor will trigger an ABS light. Most ABS systems cannot function properly without a good signal from all four wheel speed sensors. If you see the ABS light illuminated, don’t expect your ABS system to help you out if you need to brake hard."
Sorry, forgot to add these multi quotes to my above post.

Back