• Register Today It's free!

home depot pvc air intake pipe

rama1200

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer xls
I'm trying to make a pvc air intake pipe to replace my stock one... I have the air cone and MAS MASF? and housing that I had purchased from kkm and have used for a while now....

I was "descoraged" by the homedepot people telling me that it would not stand that heat under the hood....

are plastic air intake pipes made so diffferently; is their plastic so much resistant?

Price-wise, I think is worth a shut to try this... what about performace wise?

I thought about aluminum, but I think plastic isolates heat better...

I have an '04 with kkm, xcal2 93 oct performace tune and magnaflow... will a smoother air intake pipe make some difference?

Thanks

Performance wise, it won't do anything.. It will sound good, probably causing you to drive with a heavier foot, thus decreasing your MPG

Metal conducts heat, causing warmer air into your intake plenum.

I would use the search tool if I were you, there's plenty of threads about this already with some helpful information.

I made one out of PVC for my 98. Problem is that PVC is extremely bulky. If you really want to have one made, I suggest having an exhaust shop bend you up some 3 or 3.5" exhaust pipe. I doubt you will notice any peformance lost due to the metal pipe. An exhaust shop could probably bend it up for less than $100 and cheaper if you brought your own pipe in. Another option would be to keep an eye on the For sale ads and ebay to see if anyone is selling an intake cheap.

Dan

Back