Homemade 5.0L engine mounts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Homemade 5.0L engine mounts

In search for the ultimate budget 5.0L conversion I have searched for the cheapest and most effective way to build my swap. I started the swap on Thursday night and have progressed though it quite quickly. Today I finished the new engine mounts, without any money spent and with just a little time and effort. I used the factory 4.0L rubber isolators leaving them bolted to the frame and made 2 ears off the the 5.0L mount bosses and drilled them to allow the the stud and guide pin to go through. The ears are made from 1/4 inch mild steel plate and are filed and chamfered to prevent any cracks from vibration. I am pleased with the position of the engine both in height and general fitment. The engine sits low enough that I will have to do next to nothing for modifications to the air box and the pan still has plenty of clearance. I have posted some pictures on my site and will be posting even more once I have finished the roll of film in my camera.

Here is a link to the pictures:Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice!
Definitely should work.
Have you considered the stress on the frame mount and the engine mounting bolts? Usually the frame mount is positioned under the engine or as close as possible to handle the torque and transfer it to the frame.

Also, will the 4.0 rubber handle the 5.0 stresses?

Good Luck,

:usa: :chug: :ca:

The mount set-up shouldn't stress the block bosses the frame or the mounts beyond the factory stresses, the idea for this style of mount came from seeing the '96 and up Explorer which uses this very same style. I even tried using Explorer ears but without any luck. As for the rubber isolators, there are pretty much the same as the 5.0L rubber mount used by Mustangs and sold in the conversion mount by James Duff so I am not too worried about the isolators failing. The engine is only about another 50 or 60lbs/ft of torque anyway which would probably be close to a warmed over 4.0L or a SOHC which would still use the same mounts.

The big thing that I personnally like is that I didn't have to drill the frame at all. That was something that I don't like and goes against my training as a heavy duty mechanic. The instructors hammered that point home I don't know how many times, 'Do not weld, drill or heat a frame!'

Speedfreak,
Great Idea! I like your design. FYI, The stud that runs thorugh the 5.0 motor mounts (to the frame) is alot bigger than the original 4.0 mounts. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up to the torque.

The reason why I like speedfreaks design, is because, cutting the holes for the 5.0 motor mounts and aligning the engine was a "painfull process" in my conversion. well, more time consuming than anything else.

Thanks for the tip.

Al

What did the 5.0 you are going to use come out of? I have read of many diffrent ones to use, just wondering what everyone else though after they did the swap. Like what other engine they should have used. Like one from a Mustang or a Thunderbird. And what year?

Eric

The engine I am using is a '93 Cougar engine. I am mating it with a AODW with an AA tranfer case adapter so I can use the factory transfer case. I also am using the Cougar wiring and computer which I wired today with some great results. The only thing left is the exhaust, the air box and bolting up the accessories.

UPDATE

I just wanted to update this posting. I have just rolled 10,000kms(6,213.7miles) on my 5.0L conversion and am happy to report that the engine mounts have preformed flawlessly. What is even more remarkable about this is the fact that the rubber section of the mount is the factory 4.0L mount with 260,000kms(161,557miles) on them in total.

Homemade Engine Mounts for 5.0L Conversion

I can't wait to see your rig if there is a nother local meet!

Good job on those mounts:D

hey Speedfreak,

Have you looked into making any more of these mounts. I know I would buy some it you made them.

I'm sure that I could built some more, it wouldn't be to hard. I now have access to a machine shop. I would have to remove them and use them as templates. This maybe possible because I am taking the truck off the road for a short spell to do some clean up work I need to do. (and rebuild the rear diff) I'll let you know real soon, I just bought a second car to beat on.

Speedfreak,

Did you ever end up making a couple more of these?

Sorry Kris, the past couple of months have bein really busy, new job, moving, moving yet agin in a month the holidays, and of course trying to spend as much time as I can with my little girl. I will have more ability to do them after Feb 15th. I will be moving to a place where I can park the truck and not have worry about moving it, as it is the truck is parked at a friends place because I cann't park it where I am living now.

The all important question is when do you thing that you will need them?

I am Not in a hurry I have no Plans to put my 5.0 in either truck any time real soon. I am just collecting parts I know work for this Swap. I just bought a complete 92 Explorer engine bay wiring so when I do start the swap my Motor is already wired and will be a simple drop in swap. Or at least that is the plan.

hey, speedfreak, i pmed ya but if you dont read that im hopin you will read this. i was just curious if you had blueprints, or dimensions of your motor mounts... i will build them i just want the measurments, cuz im lazy... haha

yeah I am still interested in the specs too.... So I can get some made...

Sorry Kris, I completely forgot about the mounts. I will try to get under the truck and get some measurements for the plate this weekend for both of you guys.

Dave

P.S. the truck has almost 20,000kms on the converdion and there hasn't been a problem with the mounts at all. All told the original rubber mounts have 270,000kms on them.

thank you, i would appreciate that alot.

Back