Homemade Underbody kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Homemade Underbody kit

Ive been thinking about this for a while. I live in Arkansas and we have the worst roads ever! So i dont feel like shelling out 139.00 for a kit and have a damn tube bust. This is what i was thinking of doing. Get some of those sylvania long tubes instead at only $5 i can afford to replace one if it busts. This is my problem I've never really seen a underbody kit before and dont know where to get a power transformer at. How do they really work i know you have to hook them up to a 12v constant but do you ground them? Please help me out i think this would be awesome if it would work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Underbody kits are very durable! They have a thick lexan outer coating, so even if I rock did decide to fly up and it the bulbs, it probably wouldn't break. Those Sylvania flourecsent bulbs wouldn't last a week without busting! Spend the money, get the kit, trust me they can take abuse.

Well i already starting hooking mine up last night I got two on one on back and one on side. Cost me $33 for the kit. I used the power inverter that came with the flurosnet light fixture. I will try to finish up tonite after work and get some pics up. I just feel better if i break one of these cause it only costs 3.97 for 2 tubes. And they make protective tube covers for 2.94 if one constantly keeps busting. I went with 4 48" white floursent tubes. Plus the fact that i'm putting sumthin together feels good too. THE STROKER IS ON THE WAY ALSO :p

Oh my I can't believe you're actually trying this. :rolleyes: Are you going to put something up to protect those bulbs? I sure hope so....

Ok, my friend hit something that knocked down his front neon tube on his 97 maxima. We didnt realize it, and we dragged the tube 55 miles along interstate mostly and once we got out and saw it, it wasnt even broken. The tube was scuffed, and I think it still worked. lol. It wasnt working at the time because the wire was scuffed. But damn, that proves the durability in those things.

LOL

dragging them at 55 HAHA. Well thats durability I guess. Yes I have 2 bulbs under the car right now. One on the back and one on the passenger side. Im going to do the other two tonite. I have the back one hooked up right now but i forgot to get the inline fuse last night so i couldnt turn that one on. Hope it works tonite when i put it on. I will try really hard to get some pics up even if its only 2 lites LOL. Hey for $33 i think if it works and looks good this will be up there with my gauges. Wish me luck! Oh yea if they continually break like I said i will get those tube protectors for 2.94 at lowes. If all works well i will make a write on how I did this.

Problems of course

well of course any project i do has to have some sort of block. Ok i go to turn the bulbs on and for like 5 secs. i get some flickering and than poof no more light. so im like ok sumthing was loose i go to turn off the switch and the wire is HOT. I did exactly what the diagram said to do on power transform and off the streetglow website. Anyone who has a underbody kit could you tell me what kind of switch you have? On diagram for streetglow it shows a seperate output for ground. I had mine with the turn on spliced in. My line went like this battery, fuse, first part of on/off switch, than second part of on/off switch with ground going to ground area, rest of turn-on wire to power transformer wire. I hooked everything else up right since i got some flickering. I really need some help from someone who has done this I will provide pics. when i get some to show you all what i mean. I dont get it my amp turn on switch doesnt have a ground why should this?

Back