How To: Underbody LED Kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Underbody LED Kit

Thanks to MustangP51's LED threads I've gathered enough courage to attempt to make my own LED Underbody kit after I blew a neon tube. LED's are much brighter, require less power, and are virtually indestructable. I've only fabricated the two sides, but I have them installed and wired, and as soon as it gets dark (I'm in ohio so it shouldn't be too long) I'll take some pictures. When I upload them keep in mind I did forget to grind the tips off of two of them, so excuse the hot spots

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cant wait to sea\

It's dark in michigan.:D

I've only got the two sides done, but have ran power (fused) and ground to a junction block underneath the console to a switch. I will do a write up on how to fab a led board when I do the front and back, and where ever else I put em

This is the only pic that turned out good....

000_0237.jpg

I will post the writeup wednesday night most likely....tonight I worked on some other issues I had with the pumpkin mobile, and I already promised the g/f we'd go out tomorrow night. Sorry guys....

sorry guys, been kinda busy getting ready to move to NC....I'm gonna try to get the last strip built tonight and take pics....then I'll write it up hopefully tomorrow

ok, friday was my last day, and yesterday i loaded up my box and took it home. I've got two weeks until i leave for nc, although my kit is done, i will walk you through it. First is first, follow mustang's thread on here about under rear seat lighting. I did the exact same thing, I just used hot glue to insulate the leads of the leds from each other, and everything else that wasn't insulated (water tight). I used green led's i bought off ebay from a seller named hkledcenter. I got 50 with resistors rated at a brightness of 40,000 for like 15 bucks or so. I'll go take pics of where n how i wired it later today and post TONIGHT!

I took pictures of the kit I made that would atleast give you guys an idea about how to hang and wire your led assemblies. The only ones I didn't take pics of were the side ones. These are hung by zip ties through the holes in the body along the pinchweld. Easy as that!

Here's the good stuff....

1.jpg

This is where I hung the front assembly. It is hung by...suprise, zip ties...!

2.jpg

This is the same assembly, just showing the wiring. The ground is going to the bolt that's dedicated to the front air dam/deflector. The other is my power lead coming from the cab (junction box after switch)

3.jpg

Just a shot showing you that there are three wires on the driver's side; constant 12v hot from the battery TO the cab (junction box/switch), a hot FROM the switch, a ground for the d/s assembly. I could've ran the same ground to each assembly but I'm tight on cash for school so I saved some wire...

5.jpg

This is the back assembly, hung by zip ties again....

4.jpg

This is a pic showing the wiring to the back assembly. The ground runs to a bolt dedicated to the stock exhaust hanger (which I'm not using) through the frame, The power I tied off of the p/s assembly nearest the rear wheel

6.jpg

This is a pic of where I tied into the pass side assembly...and my pretty redneck exhaust (made out of stock tailpipe minus the tip)

7.jpg

Pass side showing power from switch/junction box TO assembly and ground

I also installed the under rear seat led assembly I made today, instead of using 6 led's like Mustand, I used a modest 13! lol.....I'll show pics of it lit up at night

I also and working on wheel well leds, and maybe an in cowl led too!

what size led's did you use? and what did you use to mount the leds in?

I used 10mm leds rated at 40,000 mcd. I got a couple pieces of stock like mustangp51 used in his rear seat how to; the only difference is that I got stock with holes pre-drilled, the leds fit in them perfect. Just add a little hot glue and solder everything up. Hot glue does work wonders for insulation purposes and in terms of keeping stuff where you want it...

Here's another good night pic....

bbbb.jpg

Excuse the crappy picture, this was taken on my cell phone, I'll get a few good pics later with my kodak digital

Sorry guys, it won't be happening for awhile. I moved into Mooresville the 1st of August into what is essentially a drug house. Long story short, I requested my security deposit back with a pro-rate on two days out of a month rent and the slumlord refused. So I went behind his back and contacted NTI, and got his house inspected and now condemned. I lived in my truck one night, but now I'm at one of the nicest places in the area. But unfortunately I'm sharing a computer with everyone else in the complex, and it SUCKS! When I get some income I plan on getting a laptop and cheap camera though....I'll keep ya guys updated

This looks REALLY neat! Any way to put it through the firewall like you would the 12v for an amp? Just to make it look a little more clean or neat?

Back