List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Hood Paint Problem

Was there ever a TSB or "recall" about the new Explorer's hood paint? I remember seeing something, but now I can't find it. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was there ever a TSB or "recall" about the new Explorer's hood paint? I remember seeing something, but now I can't find it. Thanks!
I don't recall seeing any TSB for 'Hood Paint' Bill.

Peter

My 2011 black limited has blistering all across the leading edge of hood. (About an inch up on to the hood) There are 27000 miles on it now, and I know the dealership will paint it under warranty but I also know it will not be a perfect match. Has anyone received an extended paint warranty after a similar situation?Any suggestions on what to do with this X?

Thanks Crystal and Peter.:)

You're welcome, Bill #4 Explorer! :)

My 2011 black limited has blistering all across the leading edge of hood. (About an inch up on to the hood) There are 27000 miles on it now, and I know the dealership will paint it under warranty but I also know it will not be a perfect match. Has anyone received an extended paint warranty after a similar situation?Any suggestions on what to do with this X?

Hi cbx1047,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can get this documented and inspected. Keep in touch with me following your appointment and let me know how things go; I'll be happy to step in and assist if needed. :D

Crystal

front of hood repainted - blistering

I have 33,000 miles on my Dark Blue 2011 limited and the body shop got approval from Ford to repaint the section that was bad, I don't think they did the whole hood. They are fixing the paint at the bottom of the doors this week where it hits the plastic.

I have 33,000 miles on my Dark Blue 2011 limited and the body shop got approval from Ford to repaint the section that was bad, I don't think they did the whole hood. They are fixing the paint at the bottom of the doors this week where it hits the plastic.
If they only did the front part of the hood any you can't tell by looking at it then they either did a very good job or they did the entire hood. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that counts. I would guess that the bottom edges of the doors will likely be back to what they were before painting if nothing else was done in the way of adjustments etc. Assuming it was due to rubbing. BTW, the bottom edge of the door closes up against a rubber strip. It should not contact any plastic. Good luck.

Peter

Some times they do what is called blending they paint the affected area with the paint and then they clear coat the rest and it will look perfect..!

My complete hood was painted, I could tell because there was stone chip in the middle and its gone now. They did a very good job and it look like new. hope it the problem doesn’t come back. thanks Ford.

We had hood paint problems when we first got our new 2013 XLT. It was never corrected by Ford or the Dealer to our satisfaction....and there is still a bad taste about this vehicle and Ford because of it....and other issues. I've seen other hood paint problem posts, but no TSB's or notices that I'm aware of...Good luck with your Dealer....best regards Plum

How do I get Ford to paint my hood? I'm out of warranty.

How do I get Ford to paint my hood? I'm out of warranty.
I think you may be out of luck Bill. Now if you encounter perforation damage in that area within 5 years, then you are covered. I guess you could always talk to the dealer and see what if anything can be worked out. I guess you don't really have anything to lose that way. Good luck.

Peter

We had hood paint problems when we first got our new 2013 XLT. It was never corrected by Ford or the Dealer to our satisfaction....and there is still a bad taste about this vehicle and Ford because of it....and other issues...

Hi plumbago.

I'd like to look into this for you. Can you PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Thanks!

Ashley

Thanks Ashley for your concern, but, I've already been that/your route, and it really did not solve the issue, just glossed over it. Quite unsatisfied.......bets regards Plum

Thanks Ashley for your concern, but, I've already been that/your route, and it really did not solve the issue, just glossed over it. Quite unsatisfied.......bets regards Plum

I'd give the young lady a chance. Can't hurt. :)

Paint bubbling on hood of my 2011 XLT - Help!

I noticed what I thought was a rock chip on the front edge of my hood of my 2011 Explorer. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the paint bubbling off of the hood and what I thought was a rock chip was actually a large fleck that had already come off.

Looking at the rest of the hood, I found six more spots along the front edge that had paint bubbling and lifting off the hood, although none of the other spots had paint completely off yet.

I took it to my dealer and they told me this is a known problem. It comes from the corrosion of the aluminum hood, usually from iron contamination during assembly.

I asked them if it would be covered under warranty since it is a problem stemming from manufacturing. The manager of the body repair dept. told me that there is a 36,000 mile warranty and since mine has 46,000 miles it would not be covered.

He said this is a common problem with Ford vehicles since they use aluminum hoods. I researched it and found this has been a problem for years and there is a TSB covering vehicles from 2000-07. I also found info on a class action suit for vehicles up to 2007.

My feeling is that since the vehicle is two years old the paint should still be in good condition regardless of miles. In fact, mileage should really have no effect on paint other than rock chips and such. It is evident that the problem is coming from under the paint which indicates that it is a manufacturing issue. I understand the vehicle is past 36,000 miles, but this has been going on for a while and has just now gotten bad enough to manifest itself. This is a known problem and I feel Ford should warranty it.

Has anyone had any luck getting this problem repaired under warrant after 36,000 miles? If so, how did you go about it? Can Zone Managers authorize the repair?

Thanks.

I noticed what I thought was a rock chip on the front edge of my hood of my 2011 Explorer. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the paint bubbling off of the hood and what I thought was a rock chip was actually a large fleck that had already come off.

Looking at the rest of the hood, I found six more spots along the front edge that had paint bubbling and lifting off the hood, although none of the other spots had paint completely off yet.

I took it to my dealer and they told me this is a known problem. It comes from the corrosion of the aluminum hood, usually from iron contamination during assembly.

I asked them if it would be covered under warranty since it is a problem stemming from manufacturing. The manager of the body repair dept. told me that there is a 36,000 mile warranty and since mine has 46,000 miles it would not be covered.

He said this is a common problem with Ford vehicles since they use aluminum hoods. I researched it and found this has been a problem for years and there is a TSB covering vehicles from 2000-07. I also found info on a class action suit for vehicles up to 2007.

My feeling is that since the vehicle is two years old the paint should still be in good condition regardless of miles. In fact, mileage should really have no effect on paint other than rock chips and such. It is evident that the problem is coming from under the paint which indicates that it is a manufacturing issue. I understand the vehicle is past 36,000 miles, but this has been going on for a while and has just now gotten bad enough to manifest itself. This is a known problem and I feel Ford should warranty it.

Has anyone had any luck getting this problem repaired under warrant after 36,000 miles? If so, how did you go about it? Can Zone Managers authorize the repair?
Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum powderhound77.:wavey:
As I mentioned in my PM, I merged your thread with this one. Perhaps someone will be able to assist.

Peter

Thanks.

Hi powderhound77.

I'd like to look into this for you. Could you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info?

Ashley

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hood Paint

I am getting the same problem on my Ex, 2011 with 22k on it. I am having problems with bird droppings bubbling the paint on the hood of the vehicle. Only after a few days when I remove the droppings with soap and water, the paint has bubbled up leaving the primer level. I have 4 or so spots like that now. I have a 2009 Escape in the same location both outside and this problem has never happened. I am going to take it to the dealer.

Back