List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

2013 Explorer Sport HUGH disappointment from a Master Technician

To qualify what I'm about to say here, I'm a +30 year Certified World Class Technician (auto, paint, machinist, L1, etc.) After owning 3 Expeditions, I decided I just had to have a new Explorer Sport and purchased a brand new 2013 with my hard earned money. Forget the fact that I drive 50 miles each way to work so I have 60K on the odometer, a less than 3 year vehcile should not have this issue.
I'm unbelieveably upset that the leading edge of my hood is full of aluminum corrosion and paint bubbling because of this corrosion issue. This is without a doubt a case of incorrect or incomplete metal prep before priming and painting and Ford should step up and take care of this issue. Not withstanding the fact that I paid substantually extra $ for the optional paint which will make it extremely hard to match.
FORD, step up and take care of this! I love my Ford but for you to step over dollars to save pennies is not a wise move in this case. Your quality is now too good to let a little issue like this spoil your otherwise stellar vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the offer Tricia. Sending you my info.

My dealer said Ford will only repaint the hood and not send a replacement. Why would I want a repainted hood on a brand new vehicle? The paint will not match, repaint is never as good as factory paint, and the issue will just return as we have learned from this thread.

Let this be notice for all you people considering purchasing another Ford vehicle. I have learned my lesson!

Bubbles in hood paint

When I picked it up yesterday, I noticed that the hood had paint chips along the front edge of the hood. I asked the Ford body shop rep why didn't they fix the hood and he stated the paint chips were caused the paint bubbles/blisters under the paint. I told him I never noticed any bubbles/blisters and there was not paint chips in the hood prior to the collision. Ford rep stated it is a faulty paint issue with the hoods (faulty seam and moisture gets in between the paint and the hood) and is a KNOW problem to Ford Motor company and that is why it was not repaired.

Even after all the problems Ford is only wanting to repaint my 2016. I told them no way, it will only come back and plus it's a brand new vehicle. Never heard back from them so I'm filing a complaint with the BBB tomorrow and see where that gets me. No reason on earth why Ford should still be making hoods with this problem and then not wanting to fix them correctly.

Something I read last year and figured would be a good read.. You'd think Ford would make sure their show cars don't have this issue........

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forum...-paint-defects/?hl=+ford +hood +paint +bubble

Big supporter of Ford overall (have purchased 6 in the past 17 years) but come on... how many more years is this going to go on before you fix this???

And on brand new cars to boot.

What's most disgraceful is Ford corporate saying this is "weather related" to avoid more class action lawsuits.

This is turning into a very widespread problem on any Ford vehicle with aluminum. Particularly the hoods.

Will be curious to see how my brand new, repainted hood holds up. Had it fixed with $500 out of pocket about 5 months ago. Have not looked under the lip since the hood was replaced/repainted. Will take a look tomorrow, but I expect it to be good for now - or really watch me flip out. I also expect to own the vehicle another 8 years or so. Not holding my breath on the hood holding up that long. I had a Jimmy for 16 years prior. No probs with the paint until year 14 when the clear started to go on the roof. That to me was acceptable as it was always parked outside when it became my secondary (sometimes 3rd) vehicle 10 years prior.

Has a class action lawsuit been filed on this problem yet?

Has a class action lawsuit been filed on this problem yet?

One was filed for earlier model Ford's before 2010 with the aluminum hood problem that Ford could not get thrown out on preliminary objections and it is presently going to discovery.

I figure these lawyers will latch on to the more recent models at some point too.

I picked up my 2012 Explorer today after having the hood replaced & repainted. The repair was $2260.22 & Ford Corp agreed to pay 60%. The hood lists for $1203.00, paint at around $850.00, and some other misc charge and tax. My dealer, AutoNation Ford would not agree to pay anything towards the bill, which left me with a $904 bill. Truck in the shop for 3 1/2 days. I've been working overtime out the A$$ to pay for this repair so my man went to pick up my truck. He pretty much blew a gasket at the dealership about me having to pay anything at all. Long story short, the dealer absorbed $300 off the repair. My total cost = $605.00.

It is a shame that customers all over North America are experiencing this rust/corrosion issue, as well as water leaking into the cabin of their vehicle - yet - some dealers won't even admit there is a problem? What a frustrating experience. My advice to anybody with either Water Leaks or this Corrosion issue is to message the Ford Rep on this forum or post on Ford Explorer Facebook page.

Mine goes in today for hood corrosion. :(

my 2013 limited got approved by Ford and heads to the body shop on Dec. 2.
33k miles always garaged kept.

Got my Ex back from the paint shop and they did a very nice job. I'll be keeping a close eye on that hood from now on though.:thumbsup:

I have the same issue on my base. It has 47k on it and I was hoping ford would cover it since it's a 2013 model. What do you think the chances are that for will cover the repair? When the car was bought by the first owner they put the protection package on and still had to take it back in to get it fixed. I bought vehicle as a CPO.

Mines was CPO also and Ford wouldn't fix it. Stated that it was over 36K mileage.

Got my Ex back from the paint shop and they did a very nice job. I'll be keeping a close eye on that hood from now on though.:thumbsup:

Sell it why you can. If they didn't replace the hood you will be seeing more problems very soon.

Sell it why you can. If they didn't replace the hood you will be seeing more problems very soon.

Exactly did that! Started to have major transmission problems, Ford had my vehicle for 7 days and hadn't even started on fixing it yet because had to examine, get approvals from Ford back and forth, etc - all while I had to get a rental. This was the straw that broke the camels back. My 2013 Ford Explorer Sport is under 3 years old and can't imagine what else problems I might have. With each problem, have to go through this car rental routine. Since they haven't started on the repairs, I traded it in for a Subaru which they gave me full trade in value for.

I really did like the way a Ford drive when it worked and yes, it was fun but if I can't rely on it or Ford's support of their own vehicles and customers, I can't support Ford.

FORD messed up!
Ford used 2 non comparabile metals around the front/tip of the hood (think chemical-electrosis). The end result is a very serious corrosion condiction. I see (rust) bubbbling with white stuff underneath chipping paint. I have NEVER EVER bought any new car that did this in its infancy.

Come on Ford recall & fix yourself up.

As for me now, bad experience tying to fix this problem, no more any Fords.
There are many other better built trucks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FORD messed up!
Ford used 2 non comparabile metals around the front/tip of the hood (think chemical-electrosis). The end result is a very serious corrosion condiction. I see (rust) bubbbling with white stuff underneath chipping paint. I have NEVER EVER bought any new car that did this in its infancy.

Come on Ford recall & fix yourself up.

As for me now, bad experience tying to fix this problem, no more any Fords.
There are many other better built trucks....
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
I don't know about that "2 non comparabile metals" part. The entire hood is made of aluminum and it doesn't rust. What you see is corrosion. You won't see a recall since they are usually issued for safety related issues. I'm guessing that you are out of warranty and therefore attempting to 'fix' this yourself. Good luck with that. Even some of the dealer repaired ones started the corrosion all over again as did some of the replaced hoods. The hood on mine is also aluminum and so far is in perfect condition.

Peter

Back