Hooked up amp but it's not turning on. Couple questions!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hooked up amp but it's not turning on. Couple questions!!!

JAMIROBri

Reaction score
City, State
Elburn, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
I'm running a new Alpine HU, 1.0 JBC capacitor, RF Power 800a4 amp, and I have an EFX capacitor monitor located in the dash above the HU. I have the 4 ga. power wire running from the battery to the cap, through the distributor block then to the amp. I hooked the remote wire up to the remote lead on the HU and then ran it to the amp. When I turn the car on the amp doesn't turn on though.

My guess is a bad ground but I'm using the same ground I did when I had an amp in there a couple years ago. My guesses are that the amp isn't getting the "remote" signal from the head unit or that I don't have a good ground.

Here's one of the questions. Does it make a difference if I have the ground from the amp running straight to the cap and then to the vehicle? Or should I run separate grounds for the cap and the amp?

Thanks in advance for your help because this is very frustrating!

Brian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by JAMIROBri
When I turn the car on the amp doesn't turn on though.

it should only come on with your headunit, not the car.

did you check the fuse in the remote turn on lead?

if that's ok, try jumping power from the power wire to the remote terminal. if the amp doesn't trun on, then it's the amp.

The HU comes on when I turn the car on. I'll try your other suggestion with the power straight to the amp, but everything I'm using is basically brand new so I wouldn't think that would be the problem.

Brian

I've got a fairly new Alpine head unit, and it did that to me too. It happened about a month ago, and I haven't had time to check the voltage comming through the remote turn on wire. I do know, that it's not the wire, cause one time as a test, I pulled the HU out, and ran a direct wire, and still nothing... Temporarly, I'm running a manual switch... Maybe I'll get back at it come spring break, but if ya find out anything, let us all know.
Pete

I'd check the fuses as well for starters. Also check to see if there is power at the amp on the remote wire. If not, then it's something to do with the head unit. If that's the case you could run another lead back to the amp from any power source and put a switch somewhere in the circuit.

As far as the grounds...I'd put each unit on it's own ground, and check the one from a previous install.

Back