• Register Today It's free!

hot hubs....

ducksplus

Reaction score
City, State
arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt 4x4
My auto hubs on my 91 ex are so hot you cant keep your hands on them for more than a few seconds after only driving about 10 minutes in 2 wheel drive...

How hot should they be????

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not that hot :) time to take it apart, I suspect your wheel bearings personally.

Greetings from southeastern KY.........Check your AUTO-LOCKING HUBS.....they are probably dirty/worn.... while not engaged in 4 wheel drive the gears in the hub are not freely spinning w/the hub....when engaged in 4 wheel drive the gears in the hub lock the axle to the hub. Steve

check/clean your autohubs (goto useful threads forum, find thread called "explorer maitnence page" or something similar, and there is very good info on cleaning your hubs there), also check your brakes. might also be a sign of a stuck caliper.

i have a caliper grabbing on my drivers side.. whenever i hit the brakes hard it takes a dive to the center lane if you not holding on to the wheel good...
what can i do about that??

replace the caliper, they are $12 at auto zone

I also get hot hubs - I hadn't considered worn/dirty autolockers...I figured it must be the wheel bearings. one more thing for my list, I guess :(

like 410fortune said - calipers are $12 at autozone (with lifetime warranty :D ) i put mine on a year and a half ago and in may i was experiencing some problems i thought might be stuck caliper. autozone traded me for a new one, no questions asked, no reciept needed.

Back