Hot sauce! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ossabawjoe@gmail

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 sport trac
Hey everyone Joe DiVito here new to this board , I have a 05 Sport Trac with 185K been driving Fords since 1969 I love my Fords. Been getting great service from my Sport Trac nothing major at all but lately been having some coolant problemsd. I replaced my thermostat housing and for 1 year no problemd then it started overheating like up to high then fast down to normal I replaced the thermostat and it ran fine for a few weeks and now doing the same thing I'm wondering if it mite have an air bubble in it somewhaere? anyways glad to be here love my Fords!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have gotten great service from your Sport Trac even though it is now overheating. I'm not mechanically inclined but would a good power flush help to clean out your radiator? Maybe it is partially plugged? Power flush, refill, new thermostat, and maybe a new radiator cap? Just trying to be helpful with some thoughts that come to mind.

Joe, welcome.

Have you tried burping the system? And welcome to the forums.
If you google burping your radiator you will get more info then I can tell you.
I think the key points is to have your radiator cap removed, and it actually being the highest point on your cooling system.

I think it is already, but maybe just jacking up the front of the car some, to insure it is higher then any hoses or the heater core etc...
Good luck.

Sounds like the thermostat is sticking. in my experience with the 4.0L SOHC engines, it can be difficult to "burp" the air out after drain and refill, however, overheating should only happen once and then the air will be purged out at that time. The thermostat you use should have a small brass "rattler valve" on it to help let any trapped air escape out of the engine. Be sure to always mount the valve on the high-side (if any). It also helps to run the engine with the radiator cap off and the front of the truck raised (on ramps or jack stands) initially to help let any air escape.

Back