How do i aim the headlights horizontaly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do i aim the headlights horizontaly

titanium

Reaction score
City, State
brockville ont.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer titanium
I just replaced my halogens for HID kit and now my headlights both veare off to the right.There is a little white screw on the headlight housing but it only adjusts vertical.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Per the manual, it is not possible to adjust the horizontal.

Are you sure the bulbs are installed fully and locked in? Mine were a huge pain to fully rotate and snap in.

I just replaced my halogens for HID kit and now my headlights both veare off to the right.There is a little white screw on the headlight housing but it only adjusts vertical.
As bigmoose15 stated, they cannot be adjusted horizontally. From page 357 of your Owner's Guide;

Note: HORIZONTAL AIMING IS NOT REQUIRED FOR THIS VEHICLE AND IS
NON-ADJUSTABLE

Peter

I am trying to lower and properly aim my headlights as I think the prior owner may have messed with them in the past (the car had some DIY mods when I bought it). I read the manual and searched online and I was aware that it is not adjustable horizontally and that a phillips is needed for the vertical. I even printed out page 358 of the manual but what I saw did not quite match up. I see a piece with a white nut facing to the back of the car and vertical piece but no phillips screw head visible (should I use the phillips to just turn the gear teeth?). I also noted an area embossed with "Horizontal" and guides for a screwdriver. Please see pics.

HeadlightAdj1.jpg

HeadlightAdj2.jpg

We had a 2017 MKX and got flashed by people all the time
Took it to ford they said headlights were adjusted as much as possible.
2019 nautilus we have not had the same problem

I am trying to lower and properly aim my headlights as I think the prior owner may have messed with them in the past (the car had some DIY mods when I bought it). I read the manual and searched online and I was aware that it is not adjustable horizontally and that a phillips is needed for the vertical. I even printed out page 358 of the manual but what I saw did not quite match up. I see a piece with a white nut facing to the back of the car and vertical piece but no phillips screw head visible (should I use the phillips to just turn the gear teeth?). I also noted an area embossed with "Horizontal" and guides for a screwdriver. Please see pics.
I believe you need a socket wrench and not a screwdriver. I mentioned the same to another member with a similar question many months ago. No idea on that "Horizontal" adjustment. I haven't seen or read about that before. Perhaps it is PIU specific?

Peter

Yes, a #2 long shaft phillips screwdriver is used to turn the gear teeth. Or you can use a wrench or a socket.

Fritz

On my '13 Sport there is horizontal adjustments. However they are capped from the factory. In order to access the adjuster you need to cut the caps off with a Dremel to something similar. The headlights will need to be removed from the vehicle to remove the caps. After removed they can be accessed from inside the fender lining or the engine bay if your hands are small enough. I discovered this when I retrofitted my headlights to a proper HID projector setup.

On my '13 Sport there is horizontal adjustments. However they are capped from the factory. In order to access the adjuster you need to cut the caps off with a Dremel to something similar. The headlights will need to be removed from the vehicle to remove the caps. After removed they can be accessed from inside the fender lining or the engine bay if your hands are small enough. I discovered this when I retrofitted my headlights to a proper HID projector setup.
Hey if you happen to have pictures of that set up, please feel free to share them, sounds very interesting.

Here is a pic I found online that shows the location of the adjusters.
EjFew8F.png
[/URL]

Back