• Register Today It's free!

How do I install a subwoofer?

Ken Hollis

Reaction score
City, State
Waukesha, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hi, I recently just bought a sub and amp off of one of my coworkers and he couldn't find the wiring for it so I have to buy new ones (I bought it for $60 so its whatever). But my question is where would I get the wiring I needed?

Subwoofer - http://www.techronics.com/caraudio_...ries-Truck-Box-Loaded-Subwoofer-TCVT124-.html

Amp - https://www.amazon.com/Visonik-V317SX-800-WATT-Mono-block-Amplifier/dp/B000EQ0QVS

Ignore the pricing and what not as they are discontinued and I bought it from my coworker, but I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some info. This is my first time attempting to set up a subwoofer so I am very new to all of this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most people don't add a subwoofer without adding a new head unit with RCA outputs. You can do with with a "line out converter", but it won't give great results. I'd rather go with a cheap head unit, and plug in harness.

I added an aftermarket sub and amp to my OEM non-Mach non-JBL head unit. My last version of my "Budget Bass" project used an AudioControl LC2i converter. Besides the needed high-to-low converter, it converts the OEM 5V remote to a 12V remote, and the main feature is that it compensates for the OEM head unit's bass cutting at higher volumes.

Not a competition winning system, but rather adds the needed bass to a non-sub OEM system.

Most people don't add a subwoofer without adding a new head unit with RCA outputs. You can do with with a "line out converter", but it won't give great results. I'd rather go with a cheap head unit, and plug in harness.
I already bought a nice radio and it is all able to get a sub and amp connected. I just need to know where i can wire everything. The power cord is going driver side, and everything else is passenger side

I guess I don't understand your question. What else needs wired?

I guess I don't understand your question. What else needs wired?
I need to know where I can go through the firewall. I want drilling to be the last option possible

If you look above the pedal assembly there is a large grommet that goes through. I believe the hood cable goes through it? Something does in any case. I snaked my 4 awg through this.

Also, make sure to fuse the wire close to the battery. I picked my ground wire from the rear seat mount on the drivers side.

Also, make sure to fuse the wire close to the battery. I picked my ground wire from the rear seat mount on the drivers side.
Ah okay, I saw what your talking about and was cautious about using that. I plan on wiring it up so if I remember I will let you know if I am succesful :D

I've run the wires in all three explorers/Mountys. Never had an issue, in a combined 250k plus miles, and my trucks live very hard lives. ;)

Actaully I have a good question, For the grommet its fairly big, black and has one single wire? If so, do I just wedge it off or poke a hole in it?

On my two previous trucks I used a hollow "drill" that cut a circle out of it. With my newest, I couldn't find it, and just put a small slit in the grommet.

Here is another grommet to run through. Pic via Joe Dirt. I can't remember, but I might have run my 8ga wire through it.

IMG_2585.jpg

Here is a pic of where I ran my positive cable to under the hood...

th_1108081454a.jpg

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/1108081454a.jpg

Yes, my power wire goes right by it, and circles back. I originally mounted the fuseholder there, with the power wire going to the battery. Ex-Ford mechanic neighbor suggested using the solenoid. So, instead of moving the fuseholder closer to the firewall, I just left it. I was kinda over-engineering before he came over anyways, and it was enough of a PITA to mount it there. Overall, I am happy with it. Split loom cover from the firewall. Cable ties, with insulated cable clamps where bolt heads were present. Fuseholder bracket was just a random bracket I had from the hardware store that I bent to work.

To avoid water leaks through the firewall, for any new or disturbed holes/parts, add some RTV to both sides of the openings. Use Ultra Black etc, that is wise given the age of these cars, lots of water leaks are being found coming from the firewall areas.

Back