How do I shut off the A/C for good | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I shut off the A/C for good

chips2481

Reaction score
City, State
Minnetonka Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Ranger XLT
There is something funky with my A/C where it will stay on all the time even if it is off. Anyone know where the power wire for it is so I can just unplug it directly from the engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh and it is a 1990 ranger with a 2.9l

pull the fuse?

shouldnt there be a fuse?

I just bought the truck and it doesn't have a book, anyone know what amp it is?

only drive it when it's really ####ing hott outside. I love my a/c man... if your freezing your balls off turn the temperature gauge up until your at a comfortable . hah, nah man you need to find the fuse.

yea the main problem is I am only getting 16 miles to the gallon. The engine will make a ticking noise if I drive it hard too. It needs to be shut off.

You could also try pulling the wire harness at the compressor;)

hey thanks, I found a picture on auto zone that shows which fuse is which and unpluged it worked like a charm!

Now that you have it disconnected, are you sure you had the A/C turned off before? My 89 Ranger A/C would stay on all the time if it was not disengaged by pushing in on the A/C knob. I don't recall for sure but I think was the same knob as the fan speed knob.

The A/C will also engage if the vent is in the defrost settings.. Turn it to feet or dash and see it that works (would be better than having to pull the fuse all the time).

Just to recap I have gotten the a/c to stay off by pulling the fuse out but I don't get better gas mileage, it is exactly the same. The ac line is not cold anymore so I know it is not on but I still only get 16mpg. Is there something else else with the a/c that is still on and causing the gas mileage to stay the same or does the a/c just not affect the mileage with this kind of truck?

The A/C has little effect on gas mileage. Yes, it will lower it some but it is not significant. I suspect you need a good tune up.

16 is about right for that truck. I get 17 with: 2.9, 2wd, extra cab, 5 speed, 230K miles.

oh ok thanks

Since you have the fuse out cut the belt for the compressor, the other accessories will drive just fine (don't thin kit's a serpentine, I haven't seen any with serpentines)

Will that help with gas mileage at all?? I get 15mpg right now and that is delivering pizza's which is always stop and go.

I will cut down a little bit of the parasitic drag on the engine so it should, although I'm not sure how much, what is your truck geared?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you mean the differential, I have no idea. How ever I have stock tires and when I go 55 the rpm close to 1.75 and it is a auto with 5 speeds.

Back