How do I tow a lifted B2 without a rear sway bar? Controlling for Body Roll | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I tow a lifted B2 without a rear sway bar? Controlling for Body Roll

I have a Bronco II, lifted 6 inches with an 8.8" axle installed on it. When building the axle, I had to remove the stock sway bar mounting points to make space for the new spring perches for the B2. I haven't found replacement perches yet, so the B2 doesn't have a rear sway bar on it, which gives the vehicle plenty of roll. For driving the vehicle, it's easy enough to just take my time, it's not a sports car. But, I have to transport this car across the country soon, and I would like to make sure that it doesn't get hit with a cross wind that throws off the total control of the trailer it will be on. The plan is to strap down the axles to the car trailer, and keep the suspension flexible. The vehicle will be loaded up with stuff to be transported with it. I was wondering if there was a simple enough way to add limiting straps or maybe "tree-savers" D-linked onto the vehicle to help control the roll of the body of the vehicle while on the trailer, while not inhibiting the flow of the suspension overall.

Thank you for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not just strap the truck down so it squats the suspension?

If you are really worried about it then you can easily add a sway bar back
My bii used the stock rear sway bar for 15 years after I installed a 8.8 rear
All I had to do was grind the u bolt saddle mounts out a bit so they fit over the larger tubes
You should go look at gen i explorer and ranger rear sway bars, it is really easy to make one of those fit

Now with that said I have towed so many trucks I do not get your fear. I mean I know a bii is like a sail in the wind its
Like driving a brick wall down a windy road, ive daily driven my lifted bii for over 20 years now
Towing a lifted rig on the trailer if you are worried about side winds taking control of your trailer due to the tall bronco the you better have good sway bars on the tow rig and a good trailer, first, worry about the bii body sway second.
It would be really easy to strap the truck down by the axle for security and then squat the suspension to the axles with ratchet straps (tie frame down to trailer too and make it tight) you won’t get any body sway if you tie it down tight enough

I tow campers, 32’ enclosed trailer, lifted trucks, heavy equipment, etc all the time! High winds can be scary but I do not see body roll on a bii taking my car hauler over sideways just because of no sway bar?

If you want to lower your center of gravity then you need wider axles and wider tires :)
I have no sway bars on our rigs, but I do have a nice wide stance

Cross strap the axles with proper axle tie down straps and don't worry about body movement. It's worked for me over thousands of miles of towing the Pumpkin. Wind never affected the tow.

I agree. On the trailer, as long as it’s good and snug, it’ll be fine.

What’s the tow vehicle?

The biggest points of all this is that this'll be a big first time under taking for me and don't want to be in the middle of the Great Planes and find out that the sway of the body roll on the B2 would be the end of me.

The tow rig will be a '99 F350 and I will have a weight distribution hitch tied to the car trailer.

pumpkin_trailer.jpg

terminator.jpg

I have been trailering this with out any sway bars on the Explorer since 2000. My freeway speed is 75.

Back