how do you fix driver and passenger overhead lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how do you fix driver and passenger overhead lights

pauliem1069

Reaction score
City, State
Bayonne
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer Eddie bauer
how do you fix driver and passenger overhead lights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
What exactly do you mean by "fix"? Please elaborate.

Peter

lol, I'd start by checking the fuse, checking the bulb, and pushing the little button that turns them on. ;)

If that doesn't work then you may need to examine the bulb socket contacts and use a multimeter to see if 12V is getting to it with the switch on. If no power then you may have to take that console down and see if 12V is getting to the wiring connector for it.

There's also going to be a relay in the box up under the dash to the right of the driver's footwell but if that went out, you'd have more things not working than just those lights.

when I bought my ex the previous owner told me they weren’t working... turns out multiple interior bulbs were burnt out... since you’ll need new bulbs for them regardless of issue (most likely) Id start by visually inspecting the filaments.

The map lights
But what is wrong that needs fixing? The housing, the switch, the lights not coming on? Start with the suggestions made by J_C.

Peter

One thing I found with my '95 Explorer, was that the replacement bulbs I found, weren't really quite the right size. Like slightly too small. I had a lot of intermittent trouble with them as a result, because they weren't making good solid contact.

On my 99 XLT, the copper foil leads which are designed to make contact with the bulb socket terminals had slowly become unattached to the housing and caused intermittent operation. I was able to remove the lamp assembly and straightened out the foil leads. That was a temporary fix. I ended up replacing the lamp assembly in the overhead console. I got the assembly on ebay. There are several videos on You tube.

Back