how do you remove alternator pulley? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how do you remove alternator pulley?

watermellon

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
white 1989 ranger, 2.3l
I have an '89 ranger with a 2.3l engine. The alternator needed replacing so I bought a new one. However the new one doesn't have a pulley on it so I have to use the pulley from the old one. Both are Wilson alternators and I'm not sure how to get the pulley off and how to put it back on the new one. I'm assuming I have to use an impact wrench, but I'm afraid I might damage the new alternator. Is there a specific torque for tightening the bolt? I'm at a loss, so if someone can help me I'd sure appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm, I''' try to answer until Tbars come in, he has that engine.
There should be a bolt head in the center of the pulley, take that off and the pulley is off. It may be reverse threads, depending on the direction the fanbelt turns it. I looked in my Haynes book and it doesn't mention a torque for it.

Paging Ted. :D

I always just zip them off and on with the impact. I never have looked up torque specs on them. Just get it tight and don't over do it you will be fine. They usually have a lock washer to keep the nut tight.

..Sorry, I'm slipping..:(

...I do it exactly the same as mentioned above...I have the torque specs somewhere but never had a need to use them on the pulley...

...I believe he has a different alt in the 89, perhaps the 2G, but pull off and re-install are the same..

On my '98 3.0 I got a puller tool from AdvanceAutoParts. Its free use basically.

I bought an impact wrench and used it to take the pulley off the old alternator. It came off easy.
I then used the new bolt that came with my new alternator to attach the old (original) pulley to it.
It went on easy. The lock washer flattened out and the pulley is nice and tight on the alternator. I started up my truck and everything seems great. Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread.

It's now 11 months later and the new alternator with the old pulley attached to it is doing fine.

Note: when I attached the pulley with the impact wrench, I didn't keep pressing the trigger repeatedly; rather, I just held the trigger once and let the bolt tighten. Then I gave it one quick short blast. that's it. The washer was nice and flat which told me... no more tightening was needed.

Nice update. :thumbsup:

update. For those readers that don't know the difference between a regular washer and a lock washer.

A regular flat washer lies flat and is one solid piece with no cuts in it.

A lock washer is cut through to the center hole and doesn't lie flat. It does flatten out when a bolt is tightened down on it. Once the lock washer is tightened and lying flat, a bolt is less likely to become loose because the cut section in the washer digs into the bolt making for a tighter, more secure fit.

Back