Overdrive Alternator Pulley Installation: 4.0 SOHC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overdrive Alternator Pulley Installation: 4.0 SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96limitedX said:
i have not a clue..lol i could try and dig the wraper out of the garbage...sorry
Please do Russ

when i go out there to put my dads summer wheels/tires on i'll see if its still in there. idk if it is tho..we will find out.

guys-

on the belt lenght- if you call an autoparts store they have the ford belts listed in such a way that they can get you any length close to stock by .5" increments.

It's very easy to just give them a call and cross reference

I'm still running stock with this set-up until i see some belt slip/squeak (haven't started teh truck yet, but it seems to be within spec for the stock belt/tensioner)

Attachments

• 315 060.jpg
    315 060.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 621

I know how to read belt lengths; I was just asking what size he uses.

The stoc belt is a ----65 and I will be getting a ----55 tomorrow.

i'm sorry Al..we just took it off..took it down to NAPA and threw it on the counter and said "give me 1 1/2" smaller then that belt" he came back and went on our way home.

yeah, that seems like too much...

i am too lazy to do the math, but .5" should be the "right" amount probably just from the looks of things. I'm surprised you got a 1.5" shorter belt on there.

i went with the 1 1/2" smaller because i just guessed how much smaller i needed. the stock belt was not even tight. it was VERY loose..it did not even turn when the truck was started..just sqeeled. so i did alittle guessing..and it turned out to be right on the money.

the smaller belt went on no problem..could have even gone smaller..but oh well.

The Advanced Auto Parts store that I went to did not have in stock the 5060855 belt that I wanted; consequently I went with a slightly ( 0.5” ) shorter one, a 5060850.

This belt is a nice fit and works great; no more belt squeal.When swapping belt driven components, getting the correct new belt size is often trial and error.

mate, i've just put a 200amper on my girl simply because the oe could'nt keep up to my demands i run sometimes 3 batts. duel in my girl one solely for cranking the other to drive a engel fridge plus lighting for off road here in aussie. the third goes in my off road trailer for lighting and such i suffered squealing as well .i overcame it with a new belt but i will get a shorter one 1" and a alf yes i do have a batt management system which controls flow to the batt's when the girl starts charge is directed to the cranking batt first then to the others if i do get a flat batt i have a master switch to use my other batts as a cranking batt which are deep cycle one ? do i really need to up my wiring?

Welcome to this forum! I have a 275 amp alternator with a dual battery. Some of the wires are stock, while others are new 4 gauge cables. To take advantage of the full amperage of your system, it might be a good idea to upgrade to heavier wiring. Al posted some test results with heavier wiring, and there was an improvement.

thanks mate iv' just up graded to 5/8 wire with a 200 amp inline fuze i by passed the main fuze box running a separate line from the alt to the main batt i put a new belt on and that seems to have stopped the squeal i don't know how long it will last so i picked up another 30mm shorter or in your lingo 1 1/4" i also found my tensioner was'nt running straight mate iv'e done so much to my she goes so well pulp out here is 98oc ulp is 91 how do you guys manage with 87?

mate ,i use 96 oc yes i pay more for it but a get a smoother and better running engine and i believe better mileage out here we're paying a 1.30 per litre that make@ 4.5 litres/gal equals 5.85/gal in aussie dollars exch at the moment is 73c aussie to 1.00us do you want to live out here ? mate we're in paradise here take care av'e a g'day

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mate ,the lowest price here hopefully after easter for ulp should be around 1.20 au about.80 us /liter ulp here is always 92 oc pulp is usually between 96-98 oc that is mobil bp shell caltex but is usually.10-.20 a liter dearer i always use pulp extra grunt better econ better eng i always drop my oil every 5k and filter thanks to you guys i have saved myself heaps and these forums have been a god sendto me for i have mod my girl so much it's been great fun not according to the missus though i'm in the process at the moment of making my own bigger maf ie 3 1/2"using a maf from ebay iv'e put an exterior snorkel 3" with a ram up above the windscreento get the cleaner and cooler air thanks guys

Back