How do you replace ball joints?

SCEXPLORER

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport
I know this has been covered but I can't find a thread that talked about replacing ball joints on a 95+ explorers 2wd without replacing the arms. Can anyone give me step by step instructions of the upper and lower ball joints because I'm gonna have my mechanic do it? Also, why kind of ball joints do you get and what is the part number?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Upper or lower?

Both upper and lower. Any advice would be gladly appreciated.

Originally posted by BUCHVILLEMAN

First it tells the uppers then the lowers.

late model:
1) jackup front of vehicle, put on solid jack stands.
2) remove wheels.
3) locate upper control arm, remove bolts on left and right
4) locate ball joint at end of control arm, get you wrench and socket and remove the bolt holging joint end to the hub assembly
5) locate cold beer
6) gently tap control arm up
7) set new control arm in and replace bolts and tihten them down
8) replace wheel
9) enjoy cold beer

i agree with tdavis you should do upper and lower at the same time. usually the lower will wear out before the upper will. in this case get ready to get dirty.

1) jackup front of vehicle, put on solid jack stands.
2) remove wheels.
3) decompress torsion bars by loosening adjuster as loose as it will go (i actually took mine out)
4) take off caliper (do not disconnect break line unless you feel like bleeding hte breaks later)
5) remove tie rod
6) remove upper ball joint
7) remove nut on bottom ball joint
8) grow a second set of arms
9) cut clamp on cv boot at the axle closest to the differential
10) remove hub assembly axle and all
11) remove lower control arm by taking off bolts (dont loose bushing) that attach it to the chassis
12) get creative you have to either use a hydraulic press or bang the ball joint out with a hammer or liek i did put a jack on it and put it under a tractor
13) press that new bad boy in there
14) reassemble that front end like you were jackie chan
15) eat a hearty meal becasue you just missed lunch
16) do the other side
17) slpurge and get a 6pack or a 12 pack for your friends that are helping you just put in on eful day of work on your pretty explorer

let me know if you have any specific questions and i will try to be mor clear.

good luck!

THanks. do you know what ball joints to look for?

i bought a set from a local (Fischer automotive) parts store and they were Moog greasable lower ball joints for $35 a piece, i haven't done my uppers (hell i haven't even put these in yet). try calling auto zone, but i would stick to the local places though

Back