• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Need New Ball Joints? Buyers Guide

Sexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Lafayette, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
I agree too... It seems Moog went to mostly cheap crap not long after this was posted.

Well that's good I didn't end up buying bad quality hardware. Thanks for letting me know guys! I ended up getting some raybestos pro grade ball joints. They were about $23 apiece from rockauto. They also have grease relief valves like the moogs. Don't know about the extra 10 degrees of rotation though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Jake100146

Reaction score
City, State
Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Replacing ball joints

Hi all,

Just wanted an opinion on wether or not I should replace my ball joints or what is wrong with them?

Every time I go over a speed bump a hear a massive clunk in the front and wanted your opinion again on the cause of that noise.

Here are the pictures of the two upper and lower ball joints.

http://m.imgur.com/a/Mc8Om

Thanks heaps.

Jake

swshawaii

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)
Did the noise start after you did the 2" lift yesterday? ALL boots appear torn with little or no grease. Position of the ball joints in the sockets have also changed after your TT. Lift and support from the LCA forward facing "hooks and check for excessive lower and upper ball joint movement. Did you install camber kits and check alignment as previously advised?

Jake100146

Reaction score
City, State
Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Did the noise start after you did the 2" lift yesterday? ALL boots appear torn with little or no grease. Position of the ball joints in the sockets have also changed after your TT. Lift and support from the LCA forward facing "hooks and check for excessive lower and upper ball joint movement. Did you install camber kits and check alignment as previously advised?

Yes the noise has happened before the TT.

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
Hi all,

Just wanted an opinion on wether or not I should replace my ball joints or what is wrong with them?

Every time I go over a speed bump a hear a massive clunk in the front and wanted your opinion again on the cause of that noise.

Here are the pictures of the two upper and lower ball joints.

http://m.imgur.com/a/Mc8Om

Thanks heaps.

Jake
You need balljoints. If you want to know how bad it is, place a jack under the lower control arm and get the tire an inch or two off the ground. Grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to rock the wheel. If there's movement- they're really toast. Clunk going over a speedbump + your pics = im betting they're long gone.