How do you replace the EGR valve upper bolts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do you replace the EGR valve upper bolts

glenn henderson

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Eddie B
OK I know I should have never pulled the EGR valve in the first place. But... I did.
2000 5.0L Explorer E.B.
Lost a lot of skin but managed to remove 2 10MM bolts holding EGR to manifold. Did not remove exhaust tube. Then found that could not get replacement for a few days. Decided to just replace till had parts and more time. Found the graphite gasket where it had fallen in the bottom of the eng compartment, got the 2 bolts started, tried to tignten bolts got several turns, EGR valve tight against manifold but a good quarter inch of thread still showing on the bolts. Using a quarter inch ratchet so can not put much on the bolts but they are very tight. Eng runs very rough and the carb cleaner squirt shows it is sucking air.
So the question is
why can I not get the bolts snugged up?
Have I lost another gasket?
Are there spacers under the bolt heads, (also lost)?
Have I cross threaded the bolts?
Any tricks to getting more room to work with this thing can the black plastic thingy bracket be removed without removing the intake manifold? I did pull the heater hose at the fire wall which helped a little.

The Egr elbow is aluminum so it is very easy to cross thread those bolts. I suspect that is what happened.

You might get away with stacking up some washers to get it snug, but if this doesn't hold you will probably need to remove the EGR elbow and install a helicoil

In fact, this happened to me. Here is the kit to use for a 5 /16 - 18 x 3/4" bolt

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 995

I was afraid that would be the answer.
Thanks a lot for the Heli-coil info. That would have been my next question. Also what is involved in removing the EGR elbow?

Back