• Register Today It's free!

How fast with 4x4?

Piell

Reaction score
City, State
Stockholm
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello mates!
Im a guy from sweden who love american cars, and now i have a Explorer 4x4 (my first 4x4)

The thing is that i have been looking all over the net on how fast can i drive with the 4x4 on without succes...

This season its very snowy and slippery here in sweden (sucks) so i have to have the 4x4 on, but how fast can i drive with it without breaking something?

The manual is in german (its an imported car) so i have no idea.

There are no mods on the car, all is orginal exept for some parts that have been exchanged because exposed to wear ...

Ive heard people say that you can go how fast you want and others saying not more than 30 km/h (about 20 mph)

Kind Regards
/Pontus
:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never heard of anyone breaking 4x4 by going too fast.

I would assume that if you are driving in conditions that required 4wd, then you are not going to be able to go fast enough to break the 4x4 before breaking the body of the truck against a guard rail or tree.

Bottom line: Your not going to break it.

that bullish, you can drive 40mph.40mph is a safe speed you can go 60 but i wouldnt chance it,with the amount of pothole,dips,and bump everywhere...

Welcome to the site!!

You can drive at normal road speeds in 4x4 hi, and can shift in and out at speeds up to 55 mph (this is according to the manual) unless the temperature is below 0° C. At below 0° C, you should only shift between 2wd and 4wd below 45 mph. In 4x4 low, you're probably going to top out somewhere around 30 mph, and that's due to the engine rpm's.

that bullish, you can drive 40mph.40mph is a safe speed you can go 60 but i wouldnt chance it,with the amount of pothole,dips,and bump everywhere...

Not sure what you are calling "bullsh" on, since you basically agreed with me :confused:

The ONLY cautionary note that I could find about 4x4 operation and speed is this (taken from the FORD owners manual):

To shift from 2WD to 4x4:

To shift into 4x4, push the 4x4 button located on the instrument panel. This shift can be done at a stop or at speeds up to 55 MPH (88 km/h).

To shift from 4x4 to 2WD:

Push the 4x4 button; the 4x4 lamp on the instrument cluster will go out indicating the vehicle is in 2WD. This can be done at any speed. To disengage the automatic locking hubs, operate the vehicle in 2WD in the opposite direction for approx. 10 feet (3 meters) in a straight line.

Aloha, Mark

PS the rest of the operation for 4x4 low:

To shift from 4x4 to 4x4 LOW RANGE:

Stop the vehicle and place the automatic transmission in NEUTRAL or depress the clutch on vehicles with a manual transmission. Push the LOW RANGE button on the instrument panel to shift the transfer case from 4x4 to 4x4 LOW RANGE. Both the 4x4 and LOW RANGE lights are now lit.

NOTE: The vehicle must already be in 4x4 before pushing the Low Range button.

To shift from 4x4 LOW RANGE to 4x4:

Stop the vehicle and place the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL or depress the clutch on vehicles with a manual transmission. Push the LOW RANGE button on the instrument panel to shift the transfer case from 4x4 LOW RANGE to 4x4.
From the 1994 Owner's Manual.

Ok thank you very much, forgot to tell you its a 1994 year model, but that maybe doesn´t matter...

You are very kind you americans, very helpful.

Again thank you very much!

:usa: :thumbsup: :)

no dr i wasent callin you bs, i was calling the quote piell was give by his people,but neways 20- 30 mph is actully correct but only if in 4x4low as ma96782 sayed...

All is well

Back