How I also fixed the door ajar with dome light on problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How I also fixed the door ajar with dome light on problem

chicknpiza

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT
So, my dome light would stay on and the door ajar is on too. OK, that makes sense so far.

I had a feeling it was the hatch back. I removed the tail light (so i can get a better angle of view) to see what was going on and I noticed the lock wasn't fully engaged even if i were to push hard (slam shut) the door. So, I got a star socket, loosened up the pole (located on the door jam) that the latch (located on the door) clamps around, and moved it forward almost a full half inch. It certainly wasn't in the same spot as the other side.

That fixed the problem and the light turns off immediately after closing the door. In the past, sometimes the dome light would turn off right away, other times it would take about 15 seconds after parking the car and shutting the door.

No need to replace the lock engaged sensor (located on the inside of the door requiring you to remove the door panel to get to it).

***When you are removing the door panel, do not let the door shut. The exterior handle froze up on me because something apparently got bumped as I was removing the panel. Luckily, the automatic door lock/unlock button worked, otherwise, i would have had to get the dremel out and that would not be cool.***

I took the advice from other posters and removed the hatch back door panel so i could WD-40 both latches from the inside and the center handle mechanism. WOW, what a difference! It is so easy to turn the door handle to open the window or door now. Another plus is that with a can of WD-40 in hand I got ride of a bunch of other squeaks. Now I can hear other problems, solution: decided to buy a louder radio instead.

Adam

I had the same problem with the door ajar light and dome light staying on when I bought my truck. I traced it to the back driver's side door. With the truck running, a long beep can be heard when a door is opened, so that's how I discovered which door it was. I was too cheap to get a new switch, and also didn't want to spend to much time on it, so I just pulled the door panel and cut the wire. Problem solved. Now the only thing is that the lights don't come on when I open that door, but I can live with that!

I had the same problem with the door ajar light and dome light staying on when I bought my truck. I traced it to the back driver's side door. With the truck running, a long beep can be heard when a door is opened, so that's how I discovered which door it was. I was too cheap to get a new switch, and also didn't want to spend to much time on it, so I just pulled the door panel and cut the wire. Problem solved. Now the only thing is that the lights don't come on when I open that door, but I can live with that!
And then the next owner will be on here wondering why the light doesn't work with the door open. Cutting the wire may work, but that is a shade tree way to accomplish the present problem. Did you tape the "hot" end of the wire.I'm sure it only is a ground, but what you gonna do if it grounds itself?

Before everyone starts hollering at me, To be sure, I did many shadetree repairs in my younger years. But only on my own vehicles, never a customers car. Now, I am a bit more pickey. The old saying "Too soon old, too late smart"

Back