How long to change exhaust manifold on 96 ? scrap or fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How long to change exhaust manifold on 96 ? scrap or fix

G-96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ONT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT , '00 Sport
I need some advice here on fixing the ex. It is a 96 and served me well but recently it developed a manifold leak , it loses power and sounds like crap.

I'm wondering if this is repairable at home or should I just scrap it now. I could get the part from the junkyard for not much but do I need any special tools and what kind of time am I looking at for the removal and replacement of the part ? It sounds like it's on the driver side. I've done virtually every repair myself up until now..

If I do scrap it or sell it are they worth anything ? I have a nice engine but the body and trans is not the best.

If the mating surface isn't eroded and doesn't need milled and all the bolts come out without breaking then you have a much easier job. Chances are you will break bolts though and then the manifold needs to come completely off. Then you face getting off any air pipes also. It's not an easy job when things go wrong. But I'll have to admit I would probably fix it. I just did my F250 and it was a royal pain but I'm happy I fixed it.

That really sucks. bolts will break for sure. I'm Canada and our cars are rusty as hell from the long winters. Every job where I had a setback so far was due to broken bolts. I recently discovered a leak elsewhere and when I went to unscrew the bolt it broke right off. I'm starting to think it might not even be the manifold but the flange that goes to the connecting pipe, because I just did the flange in the center. I'm about to hit the garage for a few hours and see what I can find.

If you don't need to drive it just take your time. Let us know what you find.

Back