How low on the factory fuel gauage can I go? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How low on the factory fuel gauage can I go?

YTF0rd

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
When my explorer says its empty and I fill up I am only putting in like 16 gallons. Doesnt this beast have a 21 gallon tank?

Why does it say empty so far off from actually being empty?

I have never seen the check gauge come on though

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford fuel gauges lie!
I have an Expedition that when the fuel light comes on you best be within 1 block of gas station.
I have a f-250 that when the fuel light comes on you have 50 more miles before needing gas!
Then there are the 91 Explorers where the fuel gauges just don't work anymore! Lol

Yep...Ford makes terrible fuel gauges. I had > 2/3 tank according to the gauge today. I had a gas gift card I wanted to use up, so I refilled anyway. 10 gallons later...

Pretty sure it's not 21 gallon. Probably 17.

When I bought my 98 the needle was on the E line but I forget what it took to fill it.

I never go much below 1/4 tank because the sloshing fuel is hard on the fuel pump but at least I know I could go at least till the needle touches the E line.

EDIT..... If you don't care about ware and tear on your fuel pump just fill a 5 gallon can with gas and drive till it stops, then you'll know.

Stupid fuel gage mines is horrible . when its at a quarter tank it flucuates so much i have no idea when im empty.

But i noticed if you park facing downhill you can get more fuel into the tank . if i park ass facing downhill. With a quarter tank it will show empty.

But i noticed if you park facing downhill you can get more fuel into the tank . if i park ass facing downhill. With a quarter tank it will show empty.

If I remember correctly if you park nose down with 1/4 tank or less the fuel pump won't pick up the fuel.

In my other, departed Ex I had to roll down a hill and crash through some bushes to get level and start the engine.

My '98 XLT 4x has a 20.8 gallon tank. I think all Gen II 4 doors are 20.8g.

There is some truth to it, because of the shape of the tank and the pump location, but you sir, are exaggerating. Happened to me once in the 15 years that I've owned the beast. And I had less than 10% left in the tank.

If I remember correctly if you park nose down with 1/4 tank or less the fuel pump won't pick up the fuel.

There is some truth to it, because of the shape of the tank and the pump location, but you sir, are exaggerating. Happened to me once in the 15 years that I've owned the beast. And I had less than 10% left in the tank.

Only happened to me once too.

Of course when my gauge reads 1/4 there's probably a lot less than 1/4 in it.
It's never happened to mu Limited, only the XLT I had before.

Yes, I know they're exactly the same.

The rear of your tank should be stamped with the capacity (eg: 17GAL). Don't trust the fuel gauge to how much fuel is left. If you park on a hill nose down the gauge will read less, nose up it will read more. The fuel pump and float are located at the rear of the tank. My daughter's driveway is quite steep and she's driven home and backed up her driveway an parked, nose down, only to not be able to start her truck the next day because the pump isn't in the fuel anymore. She then has to roll down to the level street to get going. There's a small tear-drop shape on the bottom rear of the tank, that's where the fuel pump is located. You should be safe while driving until the "CHECK GAGE" light comes on. Once it does, you'd better be looking for a gas station. Besides, it's not good for the fuel pump to not be submerged in fuel to keep it cool. I'd say buy gas no later than between "E" and 1/4. BTW, You probably have the 17 gallon tank.

No fuel gauge is accurate because fuel sloshes around in the tank. I've had classic cars where the gauge was way off and I've had to bend the float arm to get a more accurate reading.

Thanks everyone.

Ill crawl under the EX and see if i can find the stamp to see what size gas tank i have. Ill post back in here.

1999 4 door XLT 5.0

Fuel gauges vary from vehicle to vehicle. My '01 Sport Trac is pretty accurate and consistent throughout the range. My '02 Sport Trac will go a long way on the 1st half tank by the gauge, 260 miles or so, but maybe 75-100 on the last 1/2. It's most accurate under 1/4 tank. Years ago when I was in high school, I drove my '68 F250 50 miles on E. Dad ran out less than 2 miles later. He had a '70 F250 that was out of gas with the gauge showing 1/8.

I've never run out of gas, but the check engine light will come on when the gas gets to E. At that point it will take about 18 gallons. This is a 4 door.

My daughter's driveway is quite steep and she's driven home and backed up her driveway an parked, nose down, only to not be able to start her truck the next day because the pump isn't in the fuel anymore. She then has to roll down to the level street to get going.

That's what happened to me except there were bushes at the bottom of the car park.

They don't give sizes for fuel tanks there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I basically consider the ¼ mark as empty since whenever it gets to there, it seems like it's not long until it's close to E, and the check gage light comes on.

Back