How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

79,000 miles and the tranny needs rebuild, broken bands, meal everywhere.
This is ridiciuos thats if for me with ford!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

02 xlt 4wd v6- 105,000 miles, trannie started acting up this week.

x

05 XLT / 90k. I did a pan drop and a filter / oil change a week ago. A lot of greyish goop in there. But, it wasn't having problems then, and its' not now. I pray it stays that way, too.

Lots of times mine feels like the PCM is stepping on an imaginary clutch pedal between gearshifts. The power drops off until the shift is completed, then comes back once the next gear is engaged.

I was reading the service DVD, and Ford claims this is one of the primary reasons for throttle by wire. Its' supposed to, as other posters have said, help by easing up on the torque in between shifts. I kinda like it.

-Shawn

Have a 2002 XLT with 72K. Previous owner paid $2000 last year for a transmission rebuilt done by AAMCO when it had 66K miles. Having seen so many with transmission problems, my questions are: does AAMCO usually do good transmission job? how many more miles one can typically count on a rebuilt transmission (assuming AAMCO did a good job)?

they swindled me and blew my motor!!!!!

2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4, 4.0 v6 has 38K miles.....!
Fingerz crossed!

blew 3rd gear at 56000 in my 02 mountaineer had it rebulit with all the new updates and computer re flashed and it shifts better than new. 2g later:)

I've got 154xxx on original motor tranny in my 02 xls took it in for a flush the other day and it started acting up turns out they didn't check the fluid level and it was low on tranny fluid.. Filled her up and seems to be fine for now. Goes without saying won't be going back to that stealership again

I have an 02 eddie bauer with 101,000. I don't know how much longer it will go though. I have had a lot of problems with this ride.

'02 4.0 2WD XLT, I have been expecting this tranny to frag for the last thirty thousand miles. It was taken into the shop around 50K because it was shifting through all five gears by 35 miles an hour and has started doing it again. It slips between most gears and hesitates between park and reverse. These trannies are notorious for leaking servos and broken bands. The rest of the vehicle is great because of all the creature comforts and third row seating. I just can't get past Ford's abandonment of its customers on the cracking back panel and these bogus trannies.

03 XLT (Sport Editon- aka, bootleg eddie bauer) with 108100 miles. At exactly 108,000 my alternator went and every time I take it in for a service, I am always told that I need to flush and replace the tranny fluid. Just waiting to have the extra $$ handy... and I do feel a difference in shifting from when I orig got it so at 70K and I fear that I will need a rebuild within the next 20K, that is, if I still have it. I love going through Fords, I'll get another one. A Limited perhaps next time... no problems so far. Just got factory style LED tail lights. Hot hot hot... Back to the thread. My girlfriend had to replace her tranny at 49K on her 04 XLT sport... but when she bought it used at 44K, I would have sworn that someone over-towed with it. It was winey! Spell that right? Regardless, I don't think any less of Ford though... very premature I feel- thank god for the extended warranty that covered it completely. I have 3 Taurus' and they are notorious for tranny issues. My 98 will need its first soon- 158K and my 01 has 209K on it and haven't had to replaced that one yet! Are you people towing with an under equipped Explorer?

I have an 02 XLS 4.0 with the 5r55w. I currently have 156,6xx just started slipping between 2nd and 3rd today. She's seen some hills some offroad and some towing. and at times she's had all three at once. Never been easy on vehicles, Yet they still seem to last. Anybody had the pleasure of rebuilding one of these yet?

I currently have 176,000 on my XLT V6 - original transmission, one fluid/filter change. :usa:

92,000 miles and I'm getting the same o/d light flashing and delayed shift from 2nd to 3rd. Plan on having it rebuilt by the end of the month. Hope this helps.

145000 on my 04XLT, 1 tranny oil change. not the smoothest out there but ITS PAID FOR. Bought it with 28k on it from Hertz Rental over 3 years ago. one major repair (broken valve spring) and thats it other than tires, and lots of oil, air filter and a couple of plug changes. new gas filter.
Easy highway miles in a cold climate so that may have helped.
Overall scale of 1-10 on the vehicle I give it about a 7

I have 115000 on my 02xlt. I bought it with about 93000 and i believe it is original. The fluid was changed at 100,000 due to leaking seals gaskets etc all were replaced. It does seem to slip every so often but not to worried yet. Hopefully if it goes its within the next 2 years while under warranty.

I have 97,800 miles on my '02 Sport 4x2 on original trans fluid. Primarily a commuter ride (55 miles round trip). Runs very smooth. Plan to go in for a fluid/filter change in the next couple of months.

i have 155k on my 03 eddie bauer when i put it into gear cold i hear the servos squeeking and a delay as well im gonna change the ( prolly hardened ) and internal leakage servos and change the fluid

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine's not an '02 either but the 4R55E (very close to the 5R55E in yours) lasted 223,000 miles before the intermediate band broke. Had two fluid/filter changes in it's entire life, at 103,000 and again at 203,000. it spent most of it's life wafting along at highway speeds in top gear not particlarly loaded down with anything heavy or pulling anything.

I drove it another 1,000 miles with no 2nd gear before I got tired of redline 1st, coast, hit 3rd and hope you aren't in a hurry till 70.

Back