• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

How many people have had the airbag warning light activate

Have you had the airbag warning light activate?

• No - my airbag light has never activated

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and it has been fixed for more than 6 months

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and it has been fixed for less than 6 months

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and the problem was not fixed. It has come back on again.

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • Yes - I have not taken it to be fixed.

Votes: 46 43.8%

• Total voters

krafticus

Reaction score
City, State
Ellicott City, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
My airbag light has come on and off intermittently over the past year, usually on for a few days, and then off for months. I've made appointments at the dealer, but they state that if the light is not on, they cannot do anything. My 2016 has just run over 36,000 miles (36,095 to be exact). I am worried that this issue will a) not be covered now, and b) cost me lots of money over time.

I just got it back from the dealer today (after replacing the battery harness), and it was on. There was no mention of it.

Wondering if I should buck of for the the premium warranty that covers just about everything.

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
My airbag light has come on and off intermittently over the past year, usually on for a few days, and then off for months. I've made appointments at the dealer, but they state that if the light is not on, they cannot do anything. My 2016 has just run over 36,000 miles (36,095 to be exact). I am worried that this issue will a) not be covered now, and b) cost me lots of money over time.

I just got it back from the dealer today (after replacing the battery harness), and it was on. There was no mention of it.

Wondering if I should buck of for the the premium warranty that covers just about everything.
If you opt for the ESP warranty print out the brochure and check the items NOT covered at the bottom of it to avoid any surprises. Also, there is a thread in the 'Sticky' section about getting the ESP warranty.
If you check your Warranty Guide I think you'll find that the Safety Restraint System is covered for 5 years/60k miles.
Did the dealer check to see if there were any stored trouble codes?

Peter

krafticus

Reaction score
City, State
Ellicott City, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
If you opt for the ESP warranty print out the brochure and check the items NOT covered at the bottom of it to avoid any surprises. Also, there is a thread in the 'Sticky' section about getting the ESP warranty.
If you check your Warranty Guide I think you'll find that the Safety Restraint System is covered for 5 years/60k miles.
Did the dealer check to see if there were any stored trouble codes?

Peter
Thank you for the heads up, and I will read this.
Each time I have made an appointment at the dealer, the light has gone off. Each time they tell me they cannot do anything without the light on since they cannot run the codes.

Mark

thefranchise713

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 Toyota Prius Prime

Peter is correct in citing the 5/60k warranty on the restraints system.

ESP is generally a good idea on these cars, we have some dealer partners who work with members on the site that can score you a very good deal close to cost.

Xltexp

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
15 Explorer XLT
Good luck I'm still under warranty been in 3 times no results yet seems to happen in the more frigid days

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

KennyPowers55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
I have a 2014 Explorer and the airbag light is on. It has been on for a while. I am due for MA inspection this month but I don't know if it will pass. Is there a way to diagnose this? I did a scan with Torque but there are no codes.

jo7hs2

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
18 Explorer XLT
Callsign
Dealership. The codes won’t show on a regular OBD-II scanner, you need one that can read Ford specific codes.

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3

KennyPowers55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
So i used FORScan and got a B141B - Second Row Driver Side Inflatable Seatbelt Deployment Control message. Additional Fault Symptom - Circuit Open. Any chance I can fix this myself?

GeoMimi89

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Well you can add me to this list. My airbag light has come on for the second time now. Dealer fixed it till I got home then light came on again! Three times a charm lol

GeoMimi89

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Well you can add me to this list. My airbag light has come on for the second time now. Dealer fixed it till I got home then light came on again! Comes on and goes off. Back to the dealer.

madisondave

Reaction score
City, State
North Ridgeville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
add me to the list as well, I have an appointment with ford on Tuesday morning

idahobobb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
202B
we have an appt for the 26th of july...lets see if it works this time. we are also getting the CO / exhaust thing handled as well. i'll report back on the outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

XLT124WD

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT 4WD
So i used FORScan and got a B141B - Second Row Driver Side Inflatable Seatbelt Deployment Control message. Additional Fault Symptom - Circuit Open. Any chance I can fix this myself?
Try cleaning the connector (unplug/clean/re-connect).

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
we have an appt for the 26th of july...lets see if it works this time. we are also getting the CO / exhaust thing handled as well. i'll report back on the outcome.
Any update?

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, Ontario area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
Try cleaning the connector (unplug/clean/re-connect).
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been active here for a year. Not sure if it ever was fixed.

Peter

XLT124WD

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT 4WD
This info is specific to the 2012 Ford Explorer with airbag code 1212:13.

2012 Ford Explorer, base, 30,000 miles. Airbag light came on. Fixed the problem. Used Forscan software to analyze the problem. Code was 1212:13. Looking at the factory service manual this is the Driver Seatbelt Buckle Pretensioner Deployment circuit high impedance. NOTE!! This is the driver's seatbelt BUCKLE, i.e. on the driver's right hand side where you buckle your seatbelt into. I did not know before reading up on this problem that there is a small explosive in the seatbelt buckle mechanism that will "cinch" down in the event of a crash to prevent someone from sliding out from under their seatbelt. There is also an explosive on the seatbelt "winder" on the driver's left. This one is to pull your torso back into the seat. I knew about this one. These two work together in a crash. There are separate codes if that mechanism is the culprit.

WARNING - do NOT try to measure the resistance of the pretensioner directly with an ohmeter. You may explode the airbag!!!

Note also, this may be specific to the 2012. I also looked at the 2013 wiring diagram and it is different than this. The seatbelt pretensioner goes to a small connector (C3065) that is easy to see on the right side of the driver's seat cushion. This then goes to a large connector (C311) below the front of the driver's seat. This then goes to a large connector (C211) which is behind the carpet at the driver's kickpanel area. Finally this goes to connector (C310A) which is one of two connectors on the Restraint Control Module at the bottom of the front center console.

I used the Forscan software to snoop at the impedance it was seeing in the pretensioner circuit (DEPLOY_18_R). It was seeing 4 ohms. Acceptable is between 1.7 and 2.78 ohms. Then I disconnected C3065 and shorted the pins (1 & 2) that are for the pretensioner. I then used the Forscan software to see what the impedance was now. In theory is should be 0 ohms. Instead it was reading 2 ohms. This told me that there was something in the circuit that was not a solid connection. I simply disconnected and reconnected about six times the connectors one a time. C311 (under the seat) was not the culprit. Turns out that C211 was the problem. NOTE - I did NOT add any dielectric grease. That was not the issue. You get to C211 by popping the driver's scuff plate up and then popping out a single large round fastener that holds the carpet in place. If someone really needs it I can take some pictures and post.
Hi there!! I have this same issue on my '12 can you provide some pictures?? Thanks in adavance!!!
This airbag light is driving me nutz!!!

03WIExplorerLtd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer FWD base
This isn't a guaranteed fix. Mine is on 2x replacement. Its easy to disconnect just unlatch it. Also, there is a tsb about this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

idahobobb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
202B
update..Installed FU2Z 14S411 RA :WIRE ASY
Perform replace 2 wire pigtails.....this and a bunch of other code but this worked and the light in her truck hasn't come on since. job done 9/2018.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Ford's new CEO has a cerebral style, and to many, it's baffling Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
B How many miles does your 5th gen Explorer have? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 34
P How many miles is too many when buying? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
S Ford explorer with so many problems please help me Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 32
H How many physical (non fob) keys should 2017 come with? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
1 How many engine mounts? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
M How many washer motors? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
C How many actually own an Explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 36
I How many? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
R Why do so many dealers have bad reputations? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 15
X How many have a 3/28 build date??? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 74
S 2013 Explorer sport airbag light on, B0002 code assistance needed Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
T Airbag codes B1214:1A Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
N Steering Wheel Airbag Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
Stic-o Airbag Warning light and Passenger seat? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
C Center Console Airbag light and rear bucket seat positions Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
T 2014 seatbelt buckle and airbag warning light Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
J Is there a way to diagnose an airbag light w/o visiting the dealer? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 14
C Installing a bench seat without belt airbag. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
A Disabling passenger airbag Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
N 2014 Explorer Airbag Seatbelt Fray Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
R airbag module Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
R TPMS/Low Tire Pressure Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
T Broken or Nanny warning? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
D Engine Coolant Over Temp Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
C Oil leak leads to blown motor without warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 45
M New to Forum - with a warning for others re program 17N03 (X-Sport) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
R Check Brake System, Service AdvanceTrac and Collision Warning Malfunction Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 26
T Battery warning light turning on and off.. bad alternator? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 45
whitemage25 Low Oil Pressure warning at idle Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 27
J Check Engine warning under acceleration Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 10
K 2011 ford explorer warning signs keep going off. How do I fix this issue? Is it safe yo drive? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
N Engine Stall and Oil Pressure Warning While Parking Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
T Check Charging System Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
G Charging warning light Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
F no power steering/battery warning when first started. intermittent Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 21
A 2013 Explorer IPMA B12D8 Trouble Code (possibly lane departure warning related) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
J Platinum Low Fuel Warning Question Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
K Adaptive cruise control + collision warning with brake assist Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
S Fleet Warning Re: Lift Gate Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 11
5 Low voltage warning on startup Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
J 2016 Tire Sizes in IDS - Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
A overspeed warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
B Dactivating lift gate warning sound? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
S Service Advance Trac/Collision warning/traction control/air bag warnings Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
K Back up camera/warning worth its weight in gold! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 26
I Headlight "de-laminating" Warning Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
X Warning to whoever want to use Coolbulb as HID Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
C Door ajar warning issues Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 35
M Warning To All Ford Ecoboost Owners! Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 60