How many people own or have owned an Aerostar? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

The closest match that they currently have is the Transit van which is used by courier services for deliveries.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The closest match that they currently have is the Transit van which is used by courier services for deliveries.

That is true. I have seen lots of them around but from what I have seen they are light duty.

Being front wheel drive I do not expect them to last like a rear wheel drive will in America, nor can they carry the payloads. Their history in Europe and around the world shows they are good for light duty in crowded cities where highway driving is minimal and payloads are small. American population densities often mean long distance deliveries, making light duty vans too expensive because of the additional needed trips to do the same job.

At the very least, they are too light duty for many jobs, mine included, whereas the Econoline is an expensive overkill. That middle ground is where the Aerostar excelled.

not to mention that for a tin can they are ridiculously overpriced, I wouldn't put any money in one of those. I'll keep my Aerostar thank you.

She and the daughter are OK. They were wearing their seatbelts and she was only doing about 30 mph due to the conditions. She said it was a slow tipover.

I had a 91 extended with a 3.0, I have a 95 extended AWD 4.0, And I have a Gold 02 Explorer.

I have owed 2,
1st was a 92 Eddie Baur EXt. 2wd,
now I have a 94 Eddie Baur Ext. AWD
Sad that ford stopped making them.
I have a Flex now too,
for when this one gets to far gone.:aerostar:

We have a 97 XLT AWD. The Canoe Club refers to them as AquaStars because it make a great shuttle vehicle for down river canoe trips.

I bought it when my son was a ski racer so we could haul a lot of skiers around. Now I mostly use my Outback, but the AeroStar is our 7 passenger Pickup Truck when we need it.

FYI: For any of you who own the Electronic 4-Wheel Drive or AWD Aerostars,,,I know that there was a recall on the transfer case blowing out the rear seal at high speeds. This happened to me during rush hour traffic in Cleveland, OH. If I had not known about the recall, it would have cost me $2,070. There was also recalls on the ignition switch (may cause fire), and the front brake rotors (because after-market parts were used on new vehicles). I'm talking about my own 1993 XLT here, so I don't know what years had these recalls. Just wanted to remind everyone again.

I have also found out that rust will eventually get to the tubing for the A/C underneath the body right behind the driver's door. Mine rusted out and I lost all the freon. I also cannot find any place that will sell me air shocks to put onto the rear. My springs in the rear are weak and any weight I put into the back end causes it to sag. A few places have suggested the coil-over shocks or helper springs, but I'm wondering WHY I can't put air shocks on it so I can adjust them myself when needed. Any advice on this?

My Dad owned a 93 XL 2wd 3.0 5spd manual. It was the first vehicle I learned to drive. He bought it in 2004 for $100. It had 256,000 miles when he scrapped it.

I cannot find any place that will sell air shocks to put in the rear. My springs in the rear are weak, and any weight I put into the back end causes it to sag. A few places have suggested the coil-over shocks or helper springs, but I'm wondering WHY I can't put air shocks on it so I can adjust them myself when needed. Any advice on this?
Get Gabriel Hi-Jackers.

I have owned 2 Aerostars(a short one àn extended) àn love them. I wish I could buy a NEW one & keep it forever. The Aerostar was ahead of its time,combining a large actually midi-van with good gas mileage.
They have great engines. I've never had any tranny trouble.I'm gonna hate getting rid of the old green monster.LOL! don-ohio :)^)

Last edited:

1994 Ford Aerostar

Greetings:

I am the original owner of a 1994 Ford Aerostar. It is the XL model with the 3.0 V6 and a 5 speed stick transmission. Everything is original. I have put 198,547 miles on it so far. The van has spent it's entire life in the desert and has no rust. I still have the original exhaust system in it. I have had several people comment that it will be a classic someday and I have decided to keep it. It has been a remarkably reliable vehicle. I have had several batteries go out ,and recently, the starter finally quit. In all cases, I was out on the road and because it is a stick, I was able to pop the clutch and continue to the nearest parts store. The mileage is pretty good. I get 23-24 mpg at 65 mph with the A/C on.

The 3.0 engine is not the most powerful. When freeway driving, the engine is really putting out the RPM's at 70 mph. I am not sure if it is the engine design or the gearing. While the engine may not have the most power, it makes up for that in long term reliability. I have not done any work on the engine, and still drive it every day. I do need to replace some plastic some interior parts. Does anyone know where they can be obtained?

Best Regards;
FV

Aerostar

I do need to replace some plastic some interior parts. Does anyone know where they can be obtained? Best Regards;
FV

for trim parts try salvage yards near you. These parts need to be looked at in person due to aging.

I purchased one of the first Aerostar in early 1986, it was a 4-speed automatic but it had a floor shifter.

it lasted me 13 years, and the 3.0 engine was awesome, lots of power. maybe you have a 2.3 liter instead of a 3.0 liter ??

I'm on my 3rd Aerostar since 1986. There simply is no replacement for it.
The Aerostar might not achieve "classic" status, but it sure is a "Treasured Vehicle" according to Ford's Customer Service Dept.

I am a Aerostar person for some reason I always liked the units and also the Econolines. You sit nice and high in those vans. I had new Ford vehicles over the years but always like used. Gives a person some tinkering and a lot of knowledge.
I had a 1989 Ford Aerostar Standard Trans but given to my grand son in 1998 and lasted only a year.

Bought an in perfect shape1996 Ford Aerostar 3.0L Aut. 2WD-C 254000 km (plain Joe) again in 2009 paid $ 1200.00 for it. Now has 339000 km on it and still in perfect shape. When retired you need a good hobby.........lol. So I bought 3 months a go a 1992 Aerostar 4.0L Aut. 2WD-LS 184000 km loaded and in clean shape for CAD 500.00. But it just had some lack of maintenance. Next day I picked up a 1995 Aerostar 4.0L Aut. E-4WD-LS 244000 km also lack of maintenance for CAD 400.00 (I thought for parts). Complaint; motor is running bit rough and no OD, RBS light, Brake light etc.. This owner said I have another 1994 Aerostar 4.0L Aut. E-4WD-C but the motor is toast but trans is good you can have it for FREE. Yes I had to pick that one up too a couple of days ago; on a dolly with the 1995 in front 200 km job. Yes it was freezing but the sun was shining ...lol. So next day battery in the 1994 and gas in the tank (has been sitting in his yard since June 2008) plugged the engine heater in. Put put, put, put,........battery dead. I heard no clanking sound thus other battery and whoops it was running. Bit rough but I can easily solve that problem. When I looked at the odometer; 161485 km. When I looked under the hood the Brake Combination Valve was gone. Mamma Mia where is the world coming too.

Summary; The 1996 I spend about CAD 900.00 on parts for normal maintenance in the last few years. The 1992 I had to spend about CAD 800.00 on parts to repair all the minors due lack of maintenance. The 1995 CAD 900.00 on parts also due lack of maintenance. The 1994 probably need the MAF cleaned and the HEGO (OS2) sensor replaced. And it need the darn Brake Combination Valve they cut out. But that is also minor.

Most people do away with vehicles because they are scared of the maintenance bill after it is not running good anymore. So they find another used one. A DIY mechanic can easily diagnose the problem with all the information what's out there. The 3 last ones even had the owners manual in it. The rocker panels I have to replace, but that is hobby work. With proper use and maintenance those Aerostars can last 500.000 km (300.000 miles) easily. So now I have a lot of KM/Miles ahead of me, just wonder do I need to accumulate another one for parts.......lol.
I have another 1997 E-AWD I maintain for a elderly lady with only 89.000 km on it. Well it will be someday the 6th.
I love the 4.0L engine the 3.0L has to work to hard and fuel economy is the same.
My next project for 2014 is the Hydrogen fuel addition to bring the fuel consumption down. Yes running on gasoline and water (no water injection)
I am raised on a farm and I was tinkering since I was 5,........... wow that's 63 years ago.
Never have any one do my maintenance but myself. Vehicles, house, appliances, PC etc. you name it.
So that's Aero-star

Aerostar Cheerleading

I see this as a pretty dead topic, but I can't resist, bein an Aerostar Mega owner -- a 93 XLT Eddie Bauer w. 4.0 EAWD 178,000 with the stairs removed for clearance.

I am a climber, hiker, skier, caver, shooter, mountaineer and especially most summer weekends, a Mtn biker. Me and my 2 closest Buds all have XLT's; usually using them in pairs as shuttles for about 4- 8 guys. Mine is dedicated to Major Abuse and saves the other guys from mangling their own overpriced rides into Serious Explorations Adventure Vehicles. The first guy bought his 92 in 94 and we got two more in the next few years as we learned just how standup they were in actual use.

MONSTER rides in Idaho; I beat hell out of mine on horrendous roads through the deserts covered in inches of fine powdery lava ash looking for lava tubes, or deep snow in the mountains grinding up to backcountry tours in the blizzards or the miserable, insanely sticky mud that often forms here- abouts anytime in between those conditions. We find we can easily stuff 5 guys, five bikes, five packs, five or six dogs and an ice chest full of beer inside each one without causing too many problems, like having to remove bike wheels or stacking dogs. Most other trips are easier as the bikes are bulky and clumsy.

Yeah, I want better ground clearance, but other than that, the Aerostar is a completely irreplaceable transport system. We guys often talk about buying something else as a shuttle vehicle, but WHAT? Nothing is even close outside of custom built vans that get comparatively stinking mileage. I treat mine like a 4 wheel drive, I am HARD on vehicles but with only minor consideration I have seen these machines jockied into outrageous places like they just belonged. Most guys are very happy to let us do their drive-ins (unless they want us to carry their gear so they can drive their dinky undersized 4wds. in with an extra guy or something) (cough-cough-Subaru-WHY?)

You can easily buy AS XLT E4WD for under 1500 now, the junkyards are crushing them as being too old, I seen better ones than I got being parted out. Totally insane. Buy one just to abuse it, put it on snow in some parking lot and GUN it, its amazing predictable and responsive. You can do drifts and spins. (However, backing downhill on unpaved ice roads seems to confuse the traction control some ...)

With the fold down seats mounted rear flat, two ice chests stuffed under them just inside the rear door, you got a platform for your napping, maybe using the fold down seat in the middle or some other arrangement it makes a easy impromptu inside sleeping camper for two or three people with storage under the seats.

If you like the 4 Capt. chairs they are a good comfy ride too, but for four not five. SO FLEXIBLE! Holds you tight as the cabin slams side to side. Good arm grips and extra headroom in the back which is rare.

Have FUN in this machine, its actually pretty easy to fix overall, except for the engine, which seem pretty strong, other than the little vacuum manifold that loses all its hoses every so often... learn what to fix permanently and you're through for the most part, just do the oil changes...

Windstar stinks, they are in every junkyard, and look no where near as large, useful or sturdy. Are ANY of THEM 4wd? I will keep ragin on my poor Windy until parts are falling off and the DOT tears me away from its worn down cabin. NOTHING compares to it.

Love My 'Star

Rokjox.

Last edited:

the Windstar and then the Freestar are front-wheel drive, we can't even start to compare them to the Aerostar which is a rear-wheel drive vehicle.

I for one will not buy a front-wheel drive anything, been there done that, and my experience was such that I swore I would never again put money in a front-wheel drive car or van.

corporate bean-counters don't understand that there are millions of people who do not like engines mounted sideways in the engine bay, but they sure dictate to car designers how to design a vehicle.

So I agree the Windstar sucks, even used car dealers don't want them because they know they are a bag of unresolvable problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The "E" series vans are still being produced basically unchanged over the years. It's a dirty shame Ford didn't continue the Aerostar along with the E series. I understand GM no longer produces the Astro vans series anymore either. Two huge mistakes the way I see it. I believe there's still a market for the smaller vans like these two fit. I wish I had the space to store a couple more for spares and parts before they're gone.

Back