• Register Today It's free!

How many people running A4LD

93Expo4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer
Hey just curious on the amount of people running the A4LD on lifted expos. how do they hold up to bigger tires an stuff? Thanks for any info

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think i might be the only one who is running an original and never rebuilt or removed a4ld on my ex since it was made. ive had a 4 inch lift for the past three years no problems. but then again im not thrashing it

Hey just curious on the amount of people running the A4LD on lifted expos. how do they hold up to bigger tires an stuff? Thanks for any info

The key is to regear the axles to compensate for the bigger tires. Not regearing will strain and overheat the trans. Overheat equals death.

Yep regear and additional trans coolers ""helps""

Best thing I ever did to my a4ld was replace it with an M5od..

That being said, mine held up okay. But I'm only on 31's with 3.73s and I was pretty easy on it. I had an external spin on filter and an extra cooler on mine, which probably helped as well.

Benjam :D

how difficult is that swap? ive seen a few write ups on it

We used an a4ld for the first 290k miles or so..

The first lasted 180k, the 2nd lasted till around 230k and the last one died around 290k. I think those numbers are right..

At that point I said screw it and did the 700r4 (yes, the chevy trans) conversion using the adapter kit from Advanced Adapters.

~Mark

Mark, how many miles did you put on the 700R4?

I lost engine breaking in the 700r4 more than a few years ago and drove it like that for multiple years.... People I've wheeled with me at Truckhaven know how much fun that was...

I just got it rebuilt last year.. I think I was around 380k-390k miles, so figure I got about 100k hard miles out of the 700r4.

I'm blaming the failure on Bowtie overdrives building the transmission like it was for a racecar and not a wheeling rig. The converter stall was 2800 or so, they played with the valve body, got the pressures too high then added something to lower the pressure.. The first one bowtie built me didn't last 500 miles and they almost built this one wrong.. I was at their shop and had them double check the TV cable spring before we installed it and it was the wrong one... again..

The shop that just built this one got the stall down to about 2300 rpms, got the shifts to feel stock but they aren't slow and didn't do odd things to the valve body but they still used good parts (I have the list somewhere)...

~Mark

Back