How much should I expect to pay?

Willard

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ranger Edge
I'm thinking of getting the A/C charged back up again in my explorer.

I previously removed the condenser after I wrecked it, so it was open to the atmosphere for awhile, and so the accumulator needs replaced.

So I'm looking to getting that done, the system evacuated, and then recharged.

What should I expect a shop to charge me for this? I don't want to shell out a lot of cash just for some cold air.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm thinking of getting the A/C charged back up again in my explorer.

I previously removed the condenser after I wrecked it, so it was open to the atmosphere for awhile, and so the accumulator needs replaced.

So I'm looking to getting that done, the system evacuated, and then recharged.

What should I expect a shop to charge me for this? I don't want to shell out a lot of cash just for some cold air.

I got quoted between $80 and $150. Most of the lowball quotes said they don't evac the system very long.

Instead I got:

http://www.ctd4ac.com/vacpumps.html - $99 one is fine, they ship same day.
and this (it was on sale for $30):
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92649

And a can tap for the cans (any autoparts store, around $6). I use a diet scale to get the exact amount from the cans.

Its a good investment, since if you ever have an issue down the line you have access to free A/C service (the tool set can cost up to what some shops charge). Also, you can be sure you are pulling a long vacuum, some shops do not do this and you have moisture remaining.

Thanks for the information. Kind of what I was expecting. Seeing that stuff I can get myself, though, I just might do that.

Just read Glaciers sticky tutorial in this section. Be sure to wear chemical googles and leather gloves. Its usually no problem but if freon escapes it will flash freeze anything it contacts.

Just read Glaciers sticky tutorial in this section. Be sure to wear chemical googles and leather gloves. Its usually no problem but if freon escapes it will flash freeze anything it contacts.

Yep, already read that a couple times. Kind of deterred though when he mentioned he had $1500 in tools for it though. Looks like I can do it much cheaper.

Oh, wow, yea I thought it would cost a lot more to do this DIY. Is this really all you need? A vacuum pump, the gages and some 134a & oil?....

Is that what I would want if I already have an air compressor for my air tools?

Also, I only see the connection for the R-134a can. Are there input (from compressor) and output (to truck) lines on the back or something?

That connection on the front is to connect to the vehicle's system. You just have to have the hose to go between the two.

You need to know what kind of refrigerant you have. R-12 or R-134A... Either one cannot be used in a system that was designed for the other. R-12 isn't made anymore and you will pay through the nose to get it, if you can even find it. R-134A is readily available but the AC System has to be converted to run it. I was lucky enough to have the joy of this happening on my dad's F-150, thus why I know.

I think that the conversion and recharge was somewhere around $300-400.

Well, since mine's a '94, it was stock with R-134a from the factory. I've confirmed this, too, it says so on the lines. Even if it wasn't, it would have been confirmed, the compressor on it was replaced by the original owner.

That connection on the front is to connect to the vehicle's system. You just have to have the hose to go between the two.

Oh I see, that's just to evacuate the system.. not refill it. So the connection to the compressor is on the back?

Oh I see, that's just to evacuate the system.. not refill it. So the connection to the compressor is on the back?

Yep, that's the way I understand it.

----------------
Now playing: Sublime - Jailhouse
via FoxyTunes

Edit: That now playing thing is something I just found on a Firefox plugin I have, I was just testing it. Pretty cool. :cool:

I just found this Vacuum Pump on Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ct...=BCB6ECAFB80F1EDF4857E9ED&CustomerID=15281094

Sweet deal, if it works good. I have the air source, so this would be a much better alternative for me.

Its not the greatest solution and will barely do the job. Here is the reason.

http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/38/

The guy who sold me the pump in the link told me its popular with body shop guys, who dont care if you need an A/C recharge in a year. Also, dont bother with it unless you have a very big compressor. It will make the compressor run almost continuously.

Its better than nothing though.

Just called a local shop, they quoted me $200 plus tax for accumulator, refrigerant, and labor.

Think I might be doing this for myself.

I use www.ackits.com for parts, The accumulator was 22 bucks I think. Tim and crew are amazing to deal with, and you can use their message board if you run into issues. You need pag 46 oil and nylog is good for the Orings.

Wow thanks for all that information. Good to know, I think I may just spend a little for a regular electric pump. I'm gonna try and go half and half on the tools with my dad, so that should help my costs some.
Good call on the link with the accumulator. That's half the price of any place else. Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

Well, since mine's a '94, it was stock with R-134a from the factory.

Ahh, I see. Both my 92 and parents 93 both use R-12, thats why I pointed it out. I wasn't exactly sure when the switch was made.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So do you think this pump will be acceptable?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98074

Says it'll pull down to 75 microns, and that seems like plenty for an A/C system. Good and cheap at only $69.99 too.

Whoa, I would have bought that. The pump I linked to is acutally a 1.7, but badged as a 1.5, its a long story. It may take an extra minute to pull the vac but its more than enough. I don't think its in the stores, I didn't see it yet. That is some deal.

Thats an new item. 75 mic is more than enough. Even 150 is good. The compressor pumps are lucky to go under 800 from what I hear.

I told the guy who sold me the pump that he should deal with HF. He is the manufacturer and importer. I think he took my idea :(.

Either way, the buying the tools pays for itself.

Back