How to: 2nd Gen Blend Door Quick Fix | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 2nd Gen Blend Door Quick Fix

i haven´t faced the problem yet, but the more i read, the more i think a little creaking i hear every time i turn the a/c on is a sign of forecoming problems. I hear it every time i start the blower, hot, cold, max, vent, etc... and i´ve read in some posts the posibility of lubricating the pivot of the blend door when this creaking becomes audible, so that you are less prone to a greater problem.

some have said to drill a little hole and spray silicone, but i just havent found a pic of the right place to drill. If anyone has done it before and has a pic, it would be great, or if someone knows where to and uses one of the pics in the site and like put a little red dot with paint or photoshp where i need to drill, it would be great.

i have a 2001 xls, with turning knobs in the ac, without rear blower, i don´t know if this is relevant, but i also read that 99+ models are less prone to blend door problems, so i don´t know if this changes anything.

thanks in advance.

bump?? please?? would like to tackle this lubing the pivot today or tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump.... sorry can´t blame me for trying :D:D

Hot air

Mine is blowing hot air on my feet on driver and passenger side all the time even if the ac/heater is turned off...will it solve my problem if i do this?

-Santos

sorry, im not familiar with this kind of stuff.

Would this be the same issue for my 2000 EB, it has the auto climate control, and just recently it wont switch from blowing cold air out to heat?

Anybody have any pictures to where i should cut, i dont want to screw this up?

I can't thank you enough for your tip. You just saved me a WHOLE lot of money, not to mention aggravation with winter coming on.

-Cryptman

sounds like my bland door is working,but my ac is still hot,what is wrong?

okkkk so i did the cut , but im not sure if the door is stuck or what i dont feel a flap or anything behind the heater radiator?> any help would be great, i cant see spending over a grand for this to get fixed :rolleyes:

didn't read ALL the pages ,but i had my bland door break,in the mid of this nsummer...only hot air...no A/C...we got a new door kit for 40.00 on ebay and dropped the dash and took off the old door and while at it..the heater core was there so for preventive maintance replaced it as well..the truck had 157k at the time...we did the fix in a day and a half....works sweet...so since i didn't read it all..if i'm wrong with my words...i'm sorry for being dumb...

was also told by FORD TECH ...DO NOT TURN YOUR HOT/COLD KNOB ALL THE WAY TO THE RIGHT OR TO THE LEFT...I KEEP MINE LIKE 1/4 INCH FROM FULL TURN TO EACH WAY....HE SAID THAT IS WHAT CAUSES THE BLEND DOOR TO BREAK AT TIMES....just a little more info for those who haven't had this problem as of YET...

ticked me off. i was at the scrap yard during one of their recent 50.00 all you can carry out. so I got a transfer case transmission and front and read diff, had some time left over so i figured id take the dash out along with the housing for the blend door and heater core. got it home and wouldnt you know it.. The blend door was broke as well.. ARGH! . darn things.,

I add a ball valve to the inlet and outlet hoses of the heater core. Open them for heat and close them for AC... $10 at Lowes.

Aussie blend door

Just finished reading all these posts because of all the Fords we have. I had the blend door problem in my wifes '95 Sable, didn't fix it-got rid of it and have heard of many people on Mark VIII.org. having the same dreaded problem, being the lucky person that I am I will not mention wether I've had the blend door problem in my Mark VIII. I certainly hope I don't have it in any of our current vehicles, but if I do I feel confident that I can handle the repair due to all the information I have read here.

I just wonder if the Aussie ever got his Expy fixed as I haven't seen a post from him saying so. Does anyone know?

I just did this and wow was it easy...the broken piece was what was not allowing me to get the door, in my case, to close all of the way. So, if your having problems, that could be your issue. It took a good 5 minutes of fumbling with my hand in there, but I got the broken piece out of the way. I've got very hot heat now and I'm so greatful for finding this forum. Thank you guys and I'm excited to be apart of this awesome group. ;)

Just to gladen your hearts if youre not a fan of car dealers ,i bought my ex from a dealer and noticed the heater wasnt working well,under the warranty in Western Australia for safety reasons it had to get heat to the front window for visibility reasons,to cut a long story short the dealer i bought it from was a Mitsubishi yard they decided it was all to hard to fix after looking on the web and would get the local Ford dealer to fix it,suited me i said ,well Ford charged them over $1000.00 to fix it,i now have a $8000.00 car with a $1000.00 heater,the mitsi dealer said no hard feelings but hoped he wouldnt see me again till the warranty was over.

It works! Been without a heater for a few weeks and its been freezing in the good old UK. Opened up the bottom of the plenum as per instructions, found the blend door, which was flapping about and fixed it into the heating position. Job done! Instant heat, instant smile!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate the advice, one question: i have a 98 eddie bauer. Its controlled by a digital thermostat. How would i keep the door control from trying to move the door "too far"????

Back