• Register Today It's free!

How To: 4.0 OHV Injector O-Rings

black91EB

Reaction score
City, State
Millington, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 5spd 4wd
I recently had to replace the injector O-Rings on my '91 Explorer. I could not find a good write up on it, so here is mine. Sorry about the picture quality, if I have the chance I will get better ones.

Note: This is for a non-EGR engine. The EGR equipped OHV is slightly more complicated due to having to disconnect the EGR tube from the upper intake. Also, I am not a professional mechanic, so follow directions at your own risk.

The first step is to remove the air intake tube and the throttle cable assembly from the upper intake. The air intake tube is removed by loosening the 8mm clamp bolts at each end of it. The throttle cable bracket is removed by removing the 2 bolts, one of which is indicated by the arrow. The other is not visible from this angle as it is behind the cables. Both bolts have 8mm heads. Once you remove the bolts, pry the cable off of the throttle body with a flat screwdriver or similiar, it just pops off.
Photo137.jpg

After you have removed the throttle cable, the next step is to unbolt the coil pack bracket so that it can be pushed aside to get the upper intake off. This is accomplished by removing the 2 bolts indicated in the picture, as well as the third one that is located down by the pass. side exhaust manifold. Just follow the bracket down and you will see it. All 3 bolts use a 13mm
Photo139.jpg

After you remove the coil pack, you need to disconnect the throttle position sensor (TPS), the Idle Air Control (IAC), and one other electrical plug on the driver's side of the manifold. (Sorry, haven't gotten a pic yet, will add later) Also, the vaccum tree is at the back of the manifold on the driver's side, and all the lines will either need to be disconnected at the tree, or at their respective accessories, whichever is easier. I will get pictures of these and update as soon as I can.

The next step is to remove the nuts that hold the upper intake on. There are six of these, all 13mm and they go over studs that thread into the lower intake. The front one is indicated in the picture, the others are similiar. The ones not visible in the picture are located between the intake runners, and are easily accessed from the top. You will need a deep well 13mm and will most likely need a universal and a 6" extension for the rear most nut, and a 6" extension for the others. I completed the whole repair with 1/4" drive tools.
Photo138.jpg

After disconnecting the wiring and vaccum lines and removing the nuts, the next step is to lift off the upper intake manifold. This can be difficult, as the intake gaskets adhere to the sealing surfaces really well. A light tap with a hammer just behind the throttle body will usually unstick the manifold, if not, careful use of a pry bar will also work. After you get the manifold off, you will see something like this:
GetAttachment-2.jpg

(Note, I have already removed 2 of the 6 studs in this pic, you can see the 2 closest to the front are missing. Something about forgetting to take a picture...)

The studs have to come out next. The studs use a female torx driver that is difficult to find. However, a 5.5mm 6 point socket works really well, and saves you from having to find the special driver. Four of these studs are pointed out in this photo:
Photo141.jpg

The next step is to remove the fuel rail from the lower intake. My Chilton's Manual said to remove the fuel lines, however, I found this unecessary. There is enough slack in the lines to allow you to move the rail over to the driver's side.

After removing the fuel rail, you can remove the injectors. Depending on your engine's mood, the injectors will either stay in the rail, stay in the lower intake, or some combination therof. (both 4.0s I have done had option 3, but I have seen others that were one or the other)

After removing the injectors, you need to remove the old O-Rings. A single edged razor blade works very well for this. Also, one or more may stick in either the lower intake or the fuel rail, and a small dental type pic works well for this.

This pic shows proper order of assembly on the nozzle end. The small plastic orange spacer comes off with the O-Ring, as does the black nozzle. Be sure to keep track of these parts. You can also see in the pic the condition of my 19 year old O-Rings. The second picture is of the box, showing the Borg Warner part number for the O-rings. They come 2 to a box, so you will need 6 boxes. They run around $1.30 a box.
Photo142.jpg

Photo143.jpg

After putting new O-rings on, it's time to reinstall the injectors. VERY IMPORTANT: install the injectors in the rail, not the intake. If you put the injectors in the intake and try to put the rail over them, you will be making a parts store run for more O-Rings The correct procedure is to press the injectors into their seats on the rail, then guide the nozzles into the intake. I would have taken pics of the cut O-rings caused by doing it the wrong way, but I was too busy hurrying off to get more...:( A small amount of lubricant is helpful in inserting the injectors. Just about any lube will work. (Thanks ranger7ltr for that catch)

After that, reassemble in reverse order, making sure to replace your intake gaskets and torque everything to the proper specs. Also, make sure you get all the vaccum and electrical hooked back up.

Feel free to add to this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great writeup black91. I'm in the process of replacing my lower intake manifold gasket and this helped me a good bit. Thank you for posting.

I can only add 1 step to this...

I have found that the o-rings on both sides go into the bores a lot easier with a light coating of lubricant...I personally prefer a spray coating of white lithium grease but I have used engine oil, tranny fluid, and even a smear of grease on them...

Otherwise your write-up is thorough and excellent attention to detail...

where do you find out if your engine is EGR? or even OHV..

cerberusaardvark, EGR stangs for "Exaust Gas Recirculation" and OHV stands for "Over Head Valve". My OHV is sometimes referred to as the "4.0L Pushrod" engine.
The first thing you should do is go outside and write down your Vehicle Identification Number and then go here: Dead Link Removed.
That's the best way to start learning about your vehicle. The next thing would be to purchase a Chiton's and or Haynes manual.

where do you find out if your engine is EGR? or even OHV..

Quick and dirty, all first gens are OHV (Overhead Valve). All 95's and 96's are also OHV. 97-99 could be OHV or SOHC (Single Over Head Cam). As I recall, all 93 or older are non-EGR, and 94 and up have EGRs. The EGR-equipped versions of the OHV are basically the same, it is just a little more difficult to remove the upper intake due to the EGR tube going into it. Having not messed with one yet, I cannot tell you much about the SOHC version.

Ranger7ltr, thanks for the input I'll edit to include that, I forgot it.

I am in the middle of changing the upper and lower intake gaskets on this engine. I have the EGR pipe going into my upper intake. I read several posts on different sites about this pipe, but worried about it for nothing. At first I was only going to change the upper intake gasket so I didn't care to take the EGR pipe off. I found it very easy to do without removing the pipe. Just for anyone wondering, the EGR pipe (on my truck) is on the driver's side of the engine, toward the front cylinder somewhat, right behind the air conditioning compressor. It's a tube that comes up from the exhaust and goes into the underside of the upper intake manifold. It is partially held in place by the same bolt that holds the oil dipstick tube in place.

As it passes into the manifold there's a big O ring to seal it in there. If you open the throttle and look into the air intake at the front of the intake you can see the pipe sticking up into intake. It comes up into the intake and then has a bend at the top pointing it toward the front of the truck. Looks like a little periscope poking up. Once you have the intake nuts all off and everything disconnected so it's ready to pull off, you'll have to wiggle the hell out of it to pull it off of the o ring that surrounds the pipe. But I did it fairly easily.

Once you have the O ring loosened out you lift the back end of the manifold first and tip it forward so it'll slide over the hooked EGR pipe. No big deal really.

However, if you do want to remove the EGR pipe it's not that hard. You'll see the two bolts that hold it in place, along with the bolt that pins it with the oil dipstick tube. Just take it off, but be careful not to lose the little gasket that's there behind the two bolts, although in the felpro kit one is supplied.

Also, if you're gonna change the valve cover gaskets, which you'll have to do if you change the lower intake gasket, then you'll want to take the EGR pipe off to get the valve cover off of that side.

Thanks, I will add your info to the original post. Properly attributed of course.

I may have killed her.

I'm not sure if a solution to my problem would be a helpful addition to this thread or just be hijacking... but here goes.

Alright, I just took my '93's upper intake manifold off to replace blown valve cover gaskets (they were leaking bad, especially on the passenger side underneath the distributor), and after reassembly I discovered to my dismay that the engine didn't really feel like running on all 6 cylinders (the problem was intermittent at first and went progressive until constant... i ended up driving her on what felt like 2-3 cylinders for almost 20 miles to get her home).

I ended up narrowing it down to either a blown coil pack (original part w/ 295,000miles on it) or a broken injector tip. And no, I couldn't get the engine light to come on while I had it plugged into a tester, and I did check every connection and wire that I could think of. I bet on the distributor cap and got a replacement one. Installed it in about 5 minutes and she started right up and purred like a kitten, for about a minute, then there was a terrible racket from the drivers side of the engine that sounded like a big damned ball bearing was tear-assing around inside one of the cylinders. I killed the engine immediately, and after the engine stopped rotating the pings kept up for about 3 more seconds. Could I have blown an injector tip into the cylinder, and what felt like non-firing cylinders before was actually hydro-locking? (of note, the exhaust smelled extremely rich when the engine was playing its hesitating song.)

could have, best bet is to pull the injectors and look at the tips.

Matt' 94 XLT a little bit rust

I understand the injectors are best to install with new O rings and seat them into the fuel rail before seating the whole assembly back into the block 94 ....but are there additional rubber seats rings that go into the block seat? ....im seeing a version of this repair that shows that there are rubber injector seats to replace before actually putting in the injectors ...vacuum leaks

i have a good idle and fairly good slow speed driving experience but when i hit the gas there is some roughnes and poor gas efficiency/ excelleration .... it dosnt seem to miss but i can here some minor clatter rapid flapping like a valve rebounding slightly out of tune in a tin can as i hit the pedal medium to hard ....the truck excellerates poorly
initially im looking for vac leaks and currently considering the plenum and injector seal and inspection rout :drunk:

Those additional seats are found in early Explorers like 1991 and 1992, they're absent from later ones. Why? I don't know. They do NOT adjust height of the injector or seal in any way. As far as I can tell, they might be there for ease of installation or vibration/heat or even to quiet down the noise of the injectors?

I believe you're talking about this; the conical black part towards the bottom of the injector body?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/Valvetrain/P1020937.JPG
P1020937.JPG

Those additional seats are found in early Explorers like 1991 and 1992, they're absent from later ones. Why? I don't know. They do NOT adjust height of the injector or seal in any way. As far as I can tell, they might be there for ease of installation or vibration/heat or even to quiet down the noise of the injectors?

I believe you're talking about this; the conical black part towards the bottom of the injector body?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/464376/vehicles/1991 Explorer/Pictures/Valvetrain/P1020937.JPG
View attachment 92981

yes thank you missed the post evidently ....

would like to change them also ...there evidently are kits to rebuild new screens and rubbers ...its the volume question and how there effected if so? or other culprit for valve clatter?

Back