How to: change dash display color! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: change dash display color!

There are several ways to do it.

IMO:
The easiest is to remove the knee panel below column (I believe 7mm screws)
then remove the metal knee killer, then on the column loosen the 9/16 bolts.

Next the trim plate around radio/ A/C: remove the ashtray and remove the 2 7/32 screws (rest of trim pops out.)

The cluster has 5 (I think) screws around the cluster (7/32 IIRC it has been a while since I've pulled the cluster).

This is my preferred way of doing it, cause it give you extra room to pull the cluster and not fight the trim around the column.

*Now if you have the push button 4wd the wiring for the 4wd switch has to be undone before completely removing the trim.*

I cant get the cluster out something is holding it in the back and I cant get to it can u help me please!!!!! and its a ford explorer 91

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Speedometer cable is a PITA to undo, disconnect the two harness connections, one horizontal one vertical to allow more room for speedo cable removal.

The speedo cable has a clip to undo but you can't see it. Squeeze the clip on top and pull it, it will eventually free itself. As I said it is a PITA to undo.

Speedometer cable is a PITA to undo, disconnect the two harness connections, one horizontal one vertical to allow more room for speedo cable removal.

The speedo cable has a clip to undo but you can't see it. Squeeze the clip on top and pull it, it will eventually free itself. As I said it is a PITA to undo.

tach meter

how you take the instrument cluster out?

How did you take out the tachometer from the gauge cluster? I tried pulling still didnt come out

I used eBay LEDs in my dash and gauges. I've used markers and transparent plastics in other cars but the hyper white LEDs have always been the best mod imo. Used em on my Merkur and now the 'Sploder and both look(ed) great

PSA: If you remove your gauges, do NOT play with or spin your speedometer needle. I made the mistake of playing around with it and messed up the strength of the spring that resists the turning force, which causes it to read wrong. That added to the fact that I didn't keep track of where the needle was pointing means I now have to deal with it reading off even after many attempts to fix it.

Obviously an old thread, but a couple things:

1) I did this in my car changing light color from orange (yuck) to blue using LED's from here Instead of scraping off the factory color though, I wet sanded it using something like a 2000 grit paper. Worked really well.

2) I wanted to change the needles from white to red in my 96 EX, and while I had the cluster out, I went ahead and sanded the back of that so all I would need to do is change out the stock bulbs for colored LED's when the time came. I too lost my speedo gauge location, and to remedy, I re-installed the cluster WITHOUT the clear cover on it, and without the speedo needle on. I then got on a long straight, flat back road and set the cruise to 55mph using my GPS and stuck the needle on at speed going down the road. I also lost fuel gauge location, so I just waited until the check gauges light came on like it does when low on fuel, and stuck the fuel needle on just a little below 1/4 tank mark.

Just throwing this in here in case anyone does this mod and runs into the same issue.

P.S. This will not fix the speedo being off if you've gone to larger tires.

Back