how to change message center display color | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to change message center display color

witchdoctor

Gringorican
Reaction score
City, State
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport, 02 Triumph S4
as i have changed all of my other lights to blue (except for that factory headunit which is next to go), i wanted to change the display color of my new message center that i installed a month or two ago.

here's how to do it (yes it can be done)

remove the console piece containing the m/c and disconnect the 3 wire plugs on the back. now you can take it inside and work on your workbench or kitchen table.

flip the console over. you will see 4 screws holding the m/c screen to the console. take these out, and remove the screen unit.

now flip the screen unit right side up. there are 4 more screws holding on the top frame. remove these and carefully lift off the black plastic frame.

now you will see the screen and the exposed circuit board. if you look very closely near the perimeter of the glass, you will see what appears to be the outline of a piece of film cover. this is really a green coating (like translucent paint); the screen display itself is really white.

using a bright light at an angle to see the glass surface clearly and a razor blade, carefully scrape off the green coating. take your time not to scratch the glass. you should try to get the bulk of it off and then go back and clean up the remains; you won't get it all the first time.

once the coating is all off you're all set. for color, i used a piece of blue polyester film (gels for stage lighting) which i bought a pack of 4 colors for $7. probably translucent glass paint would work as well, but i used the gel, cut it to the size of the glass, and taped it at the border with scotch tape. keep the tape within 1/8" of the gel border so it doesn't show behind the frame.

then just put it all back together, plug it in, and enjoy!

sorry i didn't take pics but my batteries died when i started. it is an easy fix, though, about 20-30 minutes if you go slow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow.... didnt think it was possible... get those pics up!

All of my displays in my X came blue :D Well except the power window, and lock buttons, theyre green.

pic's please!!

i will try again with pics when i get home today.

as to the blue film, i bought it at a stage lighting supply store. it was in a pack of 4 colors; blue, red, yellow, and green. they call the sheets "gels"

i was finally able to take a pic of the finished product....hope you all can see it well, it's hard to do with the flash.

Attachments

• 100_1719.jpg
    100_1719.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 662

That looks great, who'da thunk it!? I would have never guessed that it would only take some time and scraping...

That is awesome!

I wonder if this same concept could be applied to the overhead console and stock radio?

well i can't yet say about the overhead console.....i'm still trying to get one.

as for the factory radio, i've had the faceplate apart....the plastic cover (the main thick one that appears to be the window to the display) is not clear but actually tinted green. the only way i could see around it is to cut it out and replace it with a clear one. it doesn't seem like a plausible idea.

also, the buttons are lit individually by tiny green led's built onto the circuit board. i'm definitely not brave enough to try changing them.

there is a stock headunit for the 03 ranger tremor edition that has all blue display, but i haven't a clue where to get one.

myself i'm going for a new kenwood double din head (it has 60+ color options)

The alpine 9815 has all blue display.

That looks awesome. I want to do it, except then I'd have to change everything to match. Dont have the motivation for that.
Nice Job

Originally posted by \99sport\
I wonder if this same concept could be applied to the overhead console
No. The lense on the console is made of colored plastic. If you find somebody who wants the other color, you can swap lenses.

where did u get the message center?? stock or just from another X, it would be pretty tight if u could program it to say different things

Back