Air bag warning lite on dash display? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air bag warning lite on dash display?

Boomyal

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Ltd
I've just had this 2006 for a month now. It has 125K miles on it. Absolutely everything works on it but this is the first vehicle I have owned with this level of electronic wizardry.

Considering its age and mileage, everytime I get in it I get apprehensive waiting for a shoe to drop. Well today, the first shoe dropped, albeit, lightly.

After start up the airbag warning light stayed on. I drove the vehicle for about 2-3 miles and turned it off. A half hour later, I restarted the vehicle. The light displayed as normal but as soon as the motor caught and I released the key, the warning lite turned off as usual. It never reappeared for the balance of my trip.

Anything to worry about? Just a glitch?...a momentary gremlin, as it were?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've just had this 2006 for a month now. It has 125K miles on it. Absolutely everything works on it but this is the first vehicle I have owned with this level of electronic wizardry.

Considering its age and mileage, everytime I get in it I get apprehensive waiting for a shoe to drop. Well today, the first shoe dropped, albeit, lightly.

After start up the airbag warning light stayed on. I drove the vehicle for about 2-3 miles and turned it off. A half hour later, I restarted the vehicle. The light displayed as normal but as soon as the motor caught and I released the key, the warning lite turned off as usual. It never reappeared for the balance of my trip.

Anything to worry about? Just a glitch?...a momentary gremlin, as it were?

Your battery is on the way out. Very common tell tale.

Your battery is on the way out. Very common tell tale.

Thanks, I'll do a load test on the battery. However, the battery did not at all appear weak when I started it up. I do not know how old the battery is. Maybe looking closely, I can find some kind of indication.

Mine has done that a few times over the last several weeks, it seems to only do it when the temperature is very cold ? So far I have not had any battery issues and it has been very cold at times in RI.

Mine has done that a few times over the last several weeks, it seems to only do it when the temperature is very cold ? So far I have not had any battery issues and it has been very cold at times in RI.

x2 here. When it is extremely cold it comes on.

The other cold morning [10 degrees], the airbag light came on and stayed on for almost 10 minutes to where I was going. Came out of store and restarted 5 minutes later, light stayed off. I have to think that this is some kind of glitch ? Time will tell if it is the battery as some have suggested, so far so good. Battery is only about 18 months old.

No doubt it was cold here when I experienced this situation, but our cold pales in comparison with your cold!

This Also happens all the time in winter for me in Wisconsin...The Hi temp has not been above 10F for a while. Start the vehicle to warm up and light stays on, will go off if I restart.
Its has to be a gremlin...but will also monitor the battery.

It has happened to me, twice now. The second time I shut the car off after going one block, then restarted and the light went out. This is well before anything could warm up or before the alternator could impart any add'l charge to the battery.

This is one of the reasons that I am so nervous about the electronic complexity of these vehicles.

My wife said the airbag light on our '06 did this the other day. Then when I drove it, the light stayed on for awhile then went off after a mile. It has yet to come back on other than at startup . But just like you mentioned, it was colder than average. Like in the teens that day.

Hey guys not sure if you ever found a fix for your air bag light but I wanted to give you a heads up on how I fixed mine.

Under the seats, specifically the passenger seat, there is a sensor plug for the air bags. When there is not enough weight on the seat it will turn off. In colder climates we have salt and what happened to me was the salt got in the plug. I took it apart and cleaned it then applied die-electric (spelling?) grease and problem solved.

Just something to check out.

Cheers

Back