• Register Today It's free!

how to direct wire radar detector

DarkStone

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Eddie Bauer
how do you direct wire a radar detector? what do you usually tie into to get the power. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of RD?
I use this method on any car.....

Find a hard wire kit from the RD maker. Splice the wires end, they should have a power wire & a ground wire. I wrap the ground wire around a screw grounded to metal in the fuse box area, then I pull a 15 amp fuse from the fuse box that is powered with the ignition on, & then wrap the RD positive wire around the fuse prong then insert it back in the the fuse panel.

This has worked great for me in several cars for years.

What kind of RD?
I use this method on any car.....

Find a hard wire kit from the RD maker. Splice the wires end, they should have a power wire & a ground wire. I wrap the ground wire around a screw grounded to metal in the fuse box area, then I pull a 15 amp fuse from the fuse box that is powered with the ignition on, & then wrap the RD positive wire around the fuse prong then insert it back in the the fuse panel.

This has worked great for me in several cars for years.

Yes, what Jason said should work. However, in my personal opinion it is a little "rigged" if you know what I mean. In time it could come loose. I suggest finding a power source that you can actually tap into. Go for the cigarette lighter or run a power wire straight to the battery for it. Just make sure it is secure and not just wrapped around something. Crimp some wires or solder them together.....My two cents.

Compass power behind the rearview mirror. Youll have to search or play around with a voltmeter to see which two color wires are the switched power. Works great though.

Yes, what Jason said should work. However, in my personal opinion it is a little "rigged" if you know what I mean. In time it could come loose. I suggest finding a power source that you can actually tap into. Go for the cigarette lighter or run a power wire straight to the battery for it. Just make sure it is secure and not just wrapped around something. Crimp some wires or solder them together.....My two cents.

Never had any come loose & is very secure & easy. There's more then enough tension with the wire in the fusebox to hold it secure. I've done pull tests. Hard wires usually have their own fuse attached to the + lead so it's protected.

Back