how to fiberglass? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to fiberglass?

mechanic021

Reaction score
I am thinking of trying to make a fiberglass sub box for my 2 door blazer. I want the back part to be made of fiberglass so it will fit the contours of the body and the front will be a flat piece of mdf facing into the cargo area of the truck. Does anyone know a good website that shows how to do this kind of fiberglass work? thanks for the help

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats a good one but they didnt say how they attached the wood to the fiberglass. also if im working with fiberglass and I need it to stand up on a side wall will it fall over while its drying or is it stiff enough it will stand on its own?

Many kitplanes are made of fiberglas and there are tons of books on how to lay fiberglas and make molds, etc. Try a google search for Aircraft Spruce and Specialty, and fiberglas kitplanes how-to books. You'll learn more than you need to know.

Hope that helps.

do you think if i go to a local book store and get a box about fiberglass like how to do it on boats or something would help me at all?

Both of those links are awesome!

Wish I could have found them two years ago when I had to learn how to fiberglass. Yes, there are books in the automotive section of BArnes & Nobles which will walk you through fiberglassing. Spend $30 on material from home depot and test it out. You'll see what works and what doesn't REAL fast.
For custom molds, I bought a ton of play-doh and laid the tape/resin on top. After it was dry with the nice curvature I wanted, I peeled the play-doh out.

Karl

Back