How to ID my engine?

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
I know the engine in my expo is not the original and I believe it's out of a newer year model. My expo is a '91 but I think it's out of like a 93 or 94.

Is there a way to tell?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any idea how much they swapped?

'91 to '94 all use the same long block. Easiest (IMO) scenario seems to be that they stripped the '93/'94 engine down to the long block and put the '91 engine management and accessories on. In this case, there probably is no way to tell other than matching the engine serial number with Ford's records.

If they changed to a newer engine management system (especially if they used a '94), they would have likely had to put in a new PCM and new wiring harnesses, in which case you would tell by the pinouts on the PCM whether it's original '91 wiring or newer '94 wiring.

From what I understand they did a full swap, not the stripped down route. I can talk with the guy that did the work, I'm lucky to have contact with him but he did it so long ago that he honestly doesn't remember the details. I'll verify with him exactly what all was done. I know I've got kind of a mutt of a rig though, the cab and frame is one vehicle, the interior is out of another and the drivetrain is out of a 3rd actually.

If I wasn't so up to my head in a garage project already I'd consider buying a cheap but in good shape 2nd expo and swap all the performance/suspension/body parts from this one onto another to start fresh with an unmolested ride and then part out or just donate this current one to charity or something. Honestly if it holds up for 8 months or so, I might still just do that since you can pick up 91-94 stockers for so cheap now.

One way to tell is the heads. 93-94 models came with 93TM heads. 91-92's came with 90TM heads These designations are marked on the numbers on the exterior of each of the heads, so you can get out a flashlight and find the numbers to check.

There are other cosmetic and location differences of stuff in the engine compartment as well, such as the upper A/C line being routed in back of the engine on 91-92's and in front on 93-94's, but of course it's more than possible to only swap in a newer engine and keep all the other stuff, or use newer aftermarket stuff on an older model, so something like the heads would probably be your best bet.

Yeah, considering the A/C pump is on in there but nothing else (condensor, accumulator, lines, etc) I'll definitely check out the heads! Thank you so much for that info!!! That's probably enough for me to figure it out and at least have some ideas.

Gotta love this forum. I do typically search before I post but sometimes I just can't find what I'm looking for or after 5 pages of titles I kinda just toss in the towel and post up. I've posted a few questions lately but that's nothing compared to what I've already answered by simply searching!!!

Thanks again for the resources and willingness to help answer questions, it's appreciated with this "project" I've picked up recently! LOL

Oh, and considering it's 110+, the A/C system is on the list of things to get set back up and working! LOL

Back