How to inspect Trac Lok Differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to inspect Trac Lok Differential

sattech2000

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stevensville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Evening All!
I just picked up a 99 Explorer 4.0 pushrod as a replacment for my 2.9 ranger. Man I’m loving this truck!

As much information as this site has im sure this question has been answered before but my searches have turned up empty and I have to put the cover back on my rear differential shortly to pull it out of the garage.

I’m doing a fluid change on my rear differential and noticed a lot of smaller particles and the oil seems to be pretty black Is there anything specific I can inspect on the Trac Lok or does that require a disassemble of the differential? Is there anything else I should check while I have the cover off? Will order the clutch packs and bearing/seal kit soon and plan a complete rebuild but thought I would ask the smart people here before I buttoned it up for the night.

Thank you
Randy!

Quick Check of Limited Slip

Evening All!
I just picked up a 99 Explorer 4.0 pushrod as a replacment for my 2.9 ranger. Man I’m loving this truck!

As much information as this site has im sure this question has been answered before but my searches have turned up empty and I have to put the cover back on my rear differential shortly to pull it out of the garage.

I’m doing a fluid change on my rear differential and noticed a lot of smaller particles and the oil seems to be pretty black Is there anything specific I can inspect on the Trac Lok or does that require a disassemble of the differential? Is there anything else I should check while I have the cover off? Will order the clutch packs and bearing/seal kit soon and plan a complete rebuild but thought I would ask the smart people here before I buttoned it up for the night.

Thank you
Randy!

Randy, if you have not done so, raise one rear wheel off the ground, other sitting with vehicle weight on the tire. Place trans. in neutral, grasp outer part of tire off the ground, and try to turn it. If it turns fairly easily, the L.S. clutch is slipping. If it takes pretty good effort to get it to turn, the clutch is functioning. A new set-up CAN be turned in this way, but is difficult, taking well over 100 ft.-lbs. of torque to slip the clutch. Ford specifies a minimum torque before needing rebuild, forget exactly the number, about 80 ft-lbs, I think.

If it slips easily, don't worry about continuing to drive it; no harm done, just no limited slip available. imp

Back