• Register Today It's free!

How to install amplifier and sub?

robotnik

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.0L V6
Hi i have another project i need help with. i have a new amp and 12in sub. to wire the amp to the stereo, will i have to remove all of the existing speaker wiring in order to connect it to the amplifier, or is it still possible to use the existing speaker wires

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might want to include what you're installing it in.

oh yeah. im installing it in a 2003 ford explorer. i have replaced the stock radio with a new one as well

You will not have to remove the stock wiring to add in an amp and sub , you do need to run Main power From battery with a Fuse Rating of 80 amp less than 1 foot away from the battery , then run that to the amp for power , You will need to run a Single wire from your Aftermarket Radio to your amp for Remote turn on , you use the blue wire on the back of the radio for Power antenna or Usually says Remote turn on , You will Need to Ground a Wire To a Bolt Going to the body Or Frame And Should Be less Than 3 feet , You Will Also need to run RCA Wires From Your Radio to Your amp For signal , Then wires From Amp to sub , You Can buy a Decent Amp Kit With all supplied Wiring From Wal-mart For around 40$ If your in the USA that is , Hope I Helped

You will not have to remove the stock wiring to add in an amp and sub , you do need to run Main power From battery with a Fuse Rating of 80 amp less than 1 foot away from the battery , then run that to the amp for power , You will need to run a Single wire from your Aftermarket Radio to your amp for Remote turn on , you use the blue wire on the back of the radio for Power antenna or Usually says Remote turn on , You will Need to Ground a Wire To a Bolt Going to the body Or Frame And Should Be less Than 3 feet , You Will Also need to run RCA Wires From Your Radio to Your amp For signal , Then wires From Amp to sub , You Can buy a Decent Amp Kit With all supplied Wiring From Wal-mart For around 40$ If your in the USA that is , Hope I Helped

yeah that helps. any suggestions on where i should place the amp?

most people go for behind the seat so its behind the sub box As well !

And By the way Welcome To The site !!

most people go for behind the seat so its behind the sub box As well !

and that is kinda what im wondering, how do i connect the speaker wires from the radio to the apllifier all the way back there. it makes it seem like ill have to run new wire

You Do Have to run New Wires , the Wires I Mentioned The first Post

Back