How to: Install Front and Rear Courtesy Lamps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install Front and Rear Courtesy Lamps

BIG COUNTRY

Reaction score
City, State
EIELSON AFB, ALASKA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLS 4x4
parts needed:
lamp with wires
lamp holder
lamp holder nut: 12mm
lamp lens cover

take off your door panel remove your lens and place your lamp holder in and secure it with the nut...place the cover over it...now there are two wires...

BLACK: ground: you can ground this at any nut on your door.
BLACK/ BLUE: illumination power wire...you can wire this into 4 places.
1. overhead console
2. map lights
3. rear cago light
4. interior lamp relay pin 3...located by gas pedal behind center of the dash...right above the shinny floor vacuum valve motor...you will see a long black box...take that off...and you will see 7 relays, 1 big one and 6 small relays...if you look at it with the big relay on the left, it will show like this:
1. accessory relay (big relay)
2. (top left) interior lamp relay
3. (top middle) head lamp relay
4. (top right) battery saver relay
5. (bottom left) one touch down relay
6 (bottom middle) parking lamp relay
7. (bottom right) dimmer relay

there are 2 easy ways to splice it into...
1. if you have an overhead console...remove the "A" pillar trim and open up the wire harness, find the wire and splice into it...

2. if you dont have an overhead console, splice it into the maplight wire...you will find it behind the upper middle trim where the seat belt comes out of on the driver's side...

3. for the passenger side...run the wire across the headliner to the over head console...or map lights

now you are ready to put the lamp in the holder and install the door panel back on...and there you have it...courtesy lamps...

now if you want courtesy lamps for the rear doors...this is a bit different modification. You will need everything except the clear lens cover because it is bigger than the rear door red lens, but that is okay...the lamp will shine red. First take off your door panel...cut out the middle plastic... now place your lamp holder in place and put it up to the door, the panel will stick out a bit on the bottom, so you will need to cut a bit off of the corner...do that until you are satisfied, this will not harm the brightness of the light, now place the holder on the panel, hold it in place and put real fast drying glue or super glue on...or silicone will do...while that is drying run your black wire to any nut on the door for your ground...and your black/blue wire thru the door...either going up to the rear cargo light, or the map light where you made your other connection or the "A" pillar if you have an overhead console...and for the passenger side...either the rear cargo light or "B" pillar where your other wire will run up to...
now back to the panel...after it has dried...place the red lens back on and put your lamp in the holder and place your door panel back on...and there you have it, rear courtesy lamps...that shine red...good luck...any questions are welcomed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good post, bet this becomes part of the useful thread category:)

Good thread. I guess if you had door panels off of a 95- 97 that had the lights, you could wire them in the same way....

You can...i got these courtesy lamps off of X's from 95-97...

I have a 97 and I'm wanting to rig the courtesy lights under my X, suppose this process would work? I was thinking about rigginf some fog lights under my doors

Back