HOW TO:Lift WITH ARC!!(pic's)

Ak LTD Xplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 LIMITED OFF ROAD 4X4
ok for as long as i have had my truck i have wanted to lift it with the ARC system..with some help from "atl" i figured out where the sesor for the ARC system is..it's only one sensor for all 4 bag's..the sensor look's like a small shock..you must unclip the sensor with a flat head screw driver.then ether compress it..this will lift the truck..if you pull on it the truck should lower..the way i plan on doing it is shiming the sensor with somtning to keep it compressed..one thing the truck will ride kinda bad with the bag's full...i don't know how it will ride if the bag's had less air in them..

here's the sensor(this if after i had the sensor un-clipped)
2003-12-30%20002.JPG

2003-12-30%20003.JPG

here's in 2wd
DCP_1023.jpg

here it is with the lift
2003-12-30%20012.JPG

2003-12-30%20009.JPG

2003-12-30%20011.JPG

2003-12-30%20010.JPG

i am not responsable for any screwup's you may do to you arc/truck well trying to do this(i have to cover my ass):D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like... How bad is the front as in allignment?

Cool, great job. If I had ARC, I probably would try this. It seems like an easy way for one to lift their explorer. :)

"I like... How bad is the front as in allignment?"
it has not changed..cause it's a stock system it has not hurt the allignment that i know of i need new tires anyhow..lol

BTW it is about 4in's of lift that's with the bag's as full as they would get

I don't think that'll last long. You'll either blow the compressor that runs the system or break one of the airsprings. The air ride system isn't designed to be used like that.

im not going to run it as full as i can get it again..i just want a good 3"..but i get 4" of lift in 4x4low so what's the differabce..once i get it to that heigh i then turn the system off so the compresser is not running

Ak: has it deflated yet? Or is it doing good staying up? FYI, on mine I dont have to un clip it....it detaches at the top with a couple flicks of the wrist...just grab a hold of it and turn one way, then turn the other, while slightly pushing out and you will see what I mean.

Drives nice like that doesn't it?

oh, and i thought there was one on the back, because my rear only lifts when i put it in 4x4????

nope..there's only 1 sensor for all 4 bag's..i was wrong..my rear lift's with this sensor

no..actually it rides horrable right now..with them full it is like there riding on a brick i will let some air our and it sould ride nice..but mine rides like a dream in 2wd anyway...mine has held air with the sysytem off for 48 hour's so far..

Man this 14 yr old has some skills.....I may just have to come by and check out this set up.

I know one thing, there's a hell of a lot of snow on the ground and there's know way you'd catch me outside freezing my arse off to mess around with my explorer. I'll stay in the south where it's 60 degrees and sunny outside right now thank you very much.

-Justin

PS - Looks good BTW, I hope it lasts!

If this really does end up working I am selling my xlt and buying a limited. If I could get 3" out of the ARC then do a 2"TT and Shackles with Add a Leaf in back. I would be able to fit 33's

i see no reson why it won't work..i raise it up and shut the ACR off..and it stay's like that..for who know's how long..
here's some pic's next to my dad's stock 97 xlt awd
and some better pic's from today..(i clenaed it and removed the roof rack)
2003-12-31%20017.JPG

2003-12-31%20019.JPG

2003-12-31%20023.JPG

2003-12-31%20027.JPG

Could you please keep me updated. Like I said if it will stay like this and not blow anything up the xlt is going bye bye and im getting a limited.

BTW does anyone know what years had this ARC stuff

its going to pop one of those bags sometime, ride like crap and the alignment is off..... you must emeber the car is aligned t owhere it sits when it is aligned, even by flexing out the stock suspension geometry has changed from where it was sitting when it was in alignment... look at the ttb fords.... when you lift them, they get positive camber... it is still the same suspension and movement just now at a hiegt where it no rests as opposed to where it only once in awhile touched... make sense? the alignment is now off, even if it wasnt before..... if going to run this ghetto mod, get an alignment redone at the height it will sit at most of the time..... thats why alignemts are done with the car sitting on the ground and not with the wheels hanging loose in the air......

This is like doing a 3'' or 4'' TT. Its just lifting up the front the same way as a TT and you'll still have the problem with the CV's

Rydin - The suspention has a fixed range of motion on all 2nd Gen explorers, and it's only about 5." Fully inflated air bags do the exact same thing as a TT cranked to the max - it just holds the suspension at full droop.

Cranking T-Bars on an ARC equipped limited would not extend your downtravel or lift higher, it would just keep the explorer lifted all the time, even with the shocks deflated. :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im sorry you guy's feel the way you do..i have faith in the system..i don't see why anything will go wrong..it's just as if i had it in 4x4low all the time..no differance..i can keep everyone updated on how it hold's up.. the allignment is allredy in need of worj..and im not going to worrie about it till i start driving it..no reson to fix it when it's just sitting..and if somthing screw's up..it's my falt and my truck..and i will deal with it if somthing happend's

ARC only comes on 95-97 limited's and it's optional on 95-97 EB's

heck i may just put it back to they way it was stock..where it's stock in 2wd and lift's only in 4x4 and 4x4low

Back