How To: Mirror L.E.D. Turn Signals | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Mirror L.E.D. Turn Signals

I found this post on another forum a long time ago about putting L.E.D. turn signals in your side mirrors. Thought it could help some people out who wanted to do it. It's a pretty good write up, not too detailed though, and it has pictures. Hope someone does this mod.

Click Here

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

damn that looks crazy, I wish someone could chime in on this one

I guess my biggest question would be how do I pop the glass out of the housing? Does it just pry out like on this write up?

I tried it. Husky fan tried it.
Didnt work so I bought Muth turn signal/mirror lights.
Didnt work so Huskyfan bought Muth turn signal/mirror lights.

The mirrors didnt come off that easy and they are tinted so the LEDs dont show up that good.

I did buy Muth mirrors, but they didn't fit. I have aftermarket second gen mirrors, and the glass is about 1/4" smaller than stock ones. I was planning on selling the Muth mirrors after finding out they didn't fit, and of course, dropped one. I heated the LED housing, pulled it off, pulled the glass off my mirrors and glued the LED housing on. The end result was pretty close to Muth's. The glass doesn't have the sanded portion for the LED's to fully shine like Muth, but besides that they work great. They shine good in the day and great at night. Aftermarket LED arrows don't shine bright enough. If you plan on doing this then buy some Muth LED's w/ housing. You may be able to contact Muth and buy just those parts. I notice Muth also sells stick-on external arrows. You could buy a pair of those and tear them apart to get to the LED's also. I'm happy with my end result. I've got a thread somewhere around here.

I was planning on doing the above but it's too involved. Angling the LED's and all that stuff. The Muth cases have angled holes already so it's pretty simple to put them on.

The factory glass on second gens just pops right off. First gens are glued on VERY tight and won't come off without breaking the glass.

So you can do the L.E.D turn signal mirror mod in the 2nd gens - just not the 1st gens?

-Drew

If I were to attempt the LED mod again I would go to a glass shop and get new mirror glass that is designed for having the lights in the mirror. That way they will look right.
Your probably going to need to get glass any way. Huskyfan didnt have a hard time getting the glass out of the aftermarket mirrors but I had a hard, impossible not to break, time getting it out of the OEM.

Back