• Register Today It's free!

How to on tranny removal???

GoBiGGer

Reaction score
City, State
Portland Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT twin sticks
Does anyone have info or tip on pulling the tranny out of my 92? I really dont want to get started and end up breaking something...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's pretty straight forward.

Pull the negative battery cable.

Remove the starter.

Remove the shifter boot & the 3 bolts that hold the shift level to the tower.

Remove the shift lever from the transmission.

Pull the front and rear driveshafts - mark them in relation to the differential so you install them in the same orientation.

Disconnect any wiring harnesses, cables (speedometer), and hydraulic lines from the transmission & transfer case.

Use something to support the transmission and get a transmission jack (a floor jack will work if you can get a piece of wood or something on it to provide a wider base) underneath the transfer case.

Remove the 6 bolts that hold the transfer case to the transmission then pull the transfer case rearward off the transmission and lower it.

Remove the two bolts on the transmission mount then pull the bolts on each side of the transmission cross member - drop the cross member.

Support the rear of the transmission and get the transmission jack underneath the main body of the transmission.

Remove all the bolts that hold the transmission to the engine. You'll probably have to lower the transmission jack a bit to tip the engine down so you can get to the bolts on the top of the bellhousing.

Pull the transmission rearward so that the input shaft comes out of the pilot bearing and clutch assembly.

You may or may not have to remove portions of the exhaust if it gets in the way. When I replaced the slave cylinder on my 94, I had to pull the downpipes off the manifold & at the catalytic converter to get enough room to maneuver my transmission jack & the transmission itself down and out from underneath.

Overall, it's not too complicated if you're mechanically inclined, but it is definitely time consuming, more so if you don't have proper tools. Thankfully, I have 150 gallon air compressor and all the associated tools to go with it, but it still took me a total of about 7 hours over a weekend from start to finish.

nice, thanx for the quick reply! haha Sounds pretty straight fwd... hopefully it doesnt take me more than a weekend!

I have a 92 also and just changed out the torque convertor. Mines a 2wd auto but I had to remove the exhaust . Made things a ton easier man! Also recomend a impact wrench and band aids for your knucles. Good Luck brother!!!

Be careful reinstalling the transmission. Here is a hint to get the transmission spiked on the flywheel:

Sometimes, as hard as you try the thing won't line up. The problem is the engine tends to sag in the rear and you can't get the tranny flush with it. Take a piece of wood (NOT METAL. You'll mess up the oil pan) and stick it over the radius arm cross member and under the engine. Push down on it and lift the engine up enough to get the tranny to mount flush. Get the bottom two bolts in first, then lift up the rear of the tranny. You should hear the torque converter seating in the flywheel. Put your other bolts in and your good to go.

ok so ive put about 4 hours into getting it out... Im almost there and now for some reason cant pull off the quick release hose to the clutch! Can someone please tell me an easy way to get it off, its the only thing keeping me from pulling the tranny out...

and yea, bandaids are probably gonna get busted out as soon as my daughter sees the work! hahaa my hands look like I forgot how to shave!!

There should be a collar on the end of the hydraulic hose where it mates up with the slave cylinder. If you're looking at the end of the plastic hose it looks like you can pull it off - but you can't - you have to slide that collar forward (toward the transmission) all the way to disengage the little "fingers" inside the slave cylinder. While sliding that collar forward, you have to pull out on the hydraulic line at the same time. You'll have to be firm with it, but don't yank on it as hard as you can.

Ford has a "special tool" made specifically for sliding that collar, it looks like this:
128807297.jpg

The fun part is that if it's broken or missing, you may never get it out of there. When I had to replace my slave cylinder in January, I mangled the crap out of the hydraulic line and the old cylinder trying to get it disconnected because part of the existing collar was broken off and wouldn't disengage those fingers all the way, so I had to use a couple really tiny flat head screwdrivers to depress some of the fingers.

If worse comes to worse, you may end up having to cut the hydraulic line and then splicing it back together again afterwards. It's not advisable, but if that's the only option you have.....

well, that tip was timely. I'm just starting to pull mine out. Saw that line and was wondering how to get it lose.

would you happen to know if that tool is available at auto parts stores also?

I looked for a tool like that at Autozone and O'Reilly before I started mine and didn't run across anything like that.

Google would probably be your best bet.

A good clutch kit will come with the tool. I got one when i put a clutch in one of my 92s. Ask the parts guy if the kit they sell includes the tool.

Well, mine's out sitting on the garage floor. I think I'll have me a drink............... or two.
looks like my throwout seized up/ came apart.

Update:
I got to thinking after I posted, decided to check my *master* disconnect kit from H Fr8. You know that one you can buy for 20$ that has everything in it, except quality.
Yep there was one in there. It worked, moved the white collar in towards the tranny. Still couldn't get that line loose. Tried blowing it off with ether, then PBlaster, then air, just to clean it. Even had a friend pull on the line as i held the tool against the white collar. No go. Had all but given up. So I reached up grabbed that line and gave it one last really hard yank......and I'll be dipped. It came loose.

Kind of corked screwed the tranny out then with the Y pipe still in place. While it's out I'm gonna heat those Y-pipe to manifold bolts and replace them with stainless steel bolts for the future. I think I'd rather have the Y-pipe out of the way going back in.

While it's up in the air I thought I'd also deal with the gas gauge sending unit. I'm gonna try Turdles fix.

GoBiGGer, how'd you make out?

eta; excellent video

I used a small flat blade screwdriver to disconnect the line. I tapped the white ring inward, working around the ring. The key is to push it farther than you think you need to, till you pretty much can't see it anymore.

I just cut it since I plan on geting a parts truck, so i'm just gonna replace that too...

maybe I'll just buy a new one so I can do it easy next time, like in that video...

btw great video gman... wish I would have seen it before I decided to break some more isht!

did anyone else have to take most of the exhaust out?

I had to pull it from the y pipe back

did anyone else have to take most of the exhaust out?

I had to pull it from the y pipe back

I pulled the exhaust loose from each manifold then pulled it at the catalytic converter as well.

I found it much easier to pull exhaust as well. Think I will do this from now on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back