How to: - Parking Brake Removal and Installation (with pictures) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Parking Brake Removal and Installation (with pictures)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Glad I found this thread. I thought it was going to be an easy Saturday replacing my rear brake pads and rotor, until I pulled the rotor out and realized one of the parking brake pads came off the shoe.
So off to AutoZone I went and bought a new set of Duralast parking brake shoes for $20.

I removed first the hold down pins, the lower spring, and the upper outer spring. Then came the fun part, removing the inner upper spring. I basically just stretched one of the shoes outward until it cleared enough to remove both shoes together with the spring still on.
I then reversed procedure to put back. That was another nightmare, fighting with the upper springs, but eventually I got it them on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just did my 2000 Ex, and I while I have seen many posts saying "It is never used when the vehicle is moving" I think I have found the problem here.

The actuating levers corrode, so WHEN you use the parking brake, and release it, the levers will not move back. That causes the pads to wear, defeating the logic. So, the advice, rip it apart until you have a clean site is good advice, the mechanism must move freely, or else you are soon back with a non-working PB.

Marvial

Gary's thanks

thank you Rick for the information on the Ford Explorer parking brake r&r.

Ok I have a 2000 Mercury Mountaineer and i I just replaced the parking brake shoes which were a pain but they still are not working properly . I suspect the parking brake actiator lever pictured above may be the problem the lever is a two piece lever one of the levers has a nub sticking up , I assume the other one has a hole that slips over that nub and then when you actuate the lever it pivots on the nub ? What i believe is that the two pieces came apart during my assembly and the actuator is not applying pressure correctly can someone confirm if that is how these lever go together
index.php

Yea, I need a complete rear brake rebuild. My parking brakes were next to worthless, and after forgetting to release them and driving a few miles with them on they are even worse. So I'm going to have to rebuild/upgrade them soon. New rotors, pads, and shoes. I'm even considering a new set of powdercoated calipers.

This thread should prove very useful!

The thread would be More useful If The pics actually linked to full size pics. Neither my phone and my laptop will give me anything more than thumbnails.

Also found out that the heat from leaving my parking brake on appears to have "welded" the levers at the top of the brake assembly together into one unit. Can't get them out.

The thread would be More useful If The pics actually linked to full size pics. Neither my phone and my laptop will give me anything more than thumbnails.

Also found out that the heat from leaving my parking brake on appears to have "welded" the levers at the top of the brake assembly together into one unit. Can't get them out.

I don't know what's up with the pics. Some are thumbnails only. I think a few have higher resolution, but, idk.

How hard have you hit them? ;-)

Finally did come loose with a BFH as a matter of fact. LoL

I noticed that the 02 to 10 Explorers do not use two retractor springs on top. It does not have the one that is the booger on the back side. Has anyone just left the back spring off?

Barry

This job SUCKED!!

I hope to get some pics uploaded soon to make it easier for someone else tackling this to understand - many, many years later, after the original post...the pics in the 1st post are thumbnails that don't help really understand what's going on fully.

As to the actuator arms - after I disconnected the cable in the back and maneuvered them out through the front - mine were stuck together as well - What I did was sprayed PB Blaster on them, then placed them on the ground, and slowly took a hammer to each side of them, getting them to slowly scissor back and forth like they are supposed to....it was a LOT of beating back and forth with the hammer and scissoring them back and forth...and then they finally just released - coming apart in two separate pieces. I then wire brushed them down and lubricated them with some white lithium grease (that's all I had). They slide back and forth nicely now.

As to the top front spring - what a PIA that is. I tried my needle-nose vice-grips, the coat hanger trick, pieces of wood to wedge it over before finally going down to AutoZone and buying the AutoZone Brake Spring Pliers for $10.99. There are no real instructions on using the Brake Spring Pliers but after watching a couple of videos on YouTube I was able to finagle it on there. I ended up using the hooked end of the pliers, then spreading them completely, and wedging the other handle of the pliers in between two of the wheel studs and then levering the spring back until it was close enough to push into the hole that holds it in place - it still took me 5-10 mins to do this...all alone I might add - having a second person would have def. helped.

It then started to rain - so I'll go back out later and do the adjustments on the bottom star-thingy spreader and get the parking brake pads adjusted to just under barely rubbing the inside of the rotor.

If you want trouble free e-brakes just do away with OEM e-brakes and put a set of Mustang Calipers on. The Calipers are attached to the brake cables and are adjusted at the same time you adjust the brake pads with a special tool. This is what I did and it works like a charm. Also, its a direct bolt on.
@RickOTR

i was curious if you could tell me the rear mustang calipers you used? im in the process of converting a sport trac 373 LS to discs for use on my ranger and im fed up trying to set up the explorer ebrake, that im willing to take the loss and go buy new calipers.

any help in the right direction would be much appreciated!!

thank you!

This is an illustrated How-To for a 1996 XLT 2WD and similar models. I'm not sure which other years use the same setup, but some people might find this useful.

Before you start work on the parking brake, you need to loosen the cable. Right above the parking brake lever (that you push with your foot to engage the parking brake) there is a small hole. Reach under the car under the driver's seat and pull on the parking brake cable (or get a helper to pull on it). You can stick a nail or a drill bit through the hole shown here to keep the spring from pulling the slack out of the cable so you can work on the brakes.
1.jpg

Click the thumbnails to view full picture

Loosen the lug nuts, and jack up your back end. I put it on jack stands then loosened the lugs all the way and removed the tire. The caliper is very easy to remove with two nuts facing the center of the truck.

Wheel Removed, Caliper taken off, Rotor Removed
This picture shows the axle blocking your view of the parking brake assembly. I originally thought I would have to remove the axles to work on this--but some other very helpful posters said it was possible to do this without this step.
2.jpg

Illustration of Parking Brake Assembly
This shows the terminology and locations of the parts we will be removing/replacing/installing

3.jpg

Adjuster and Adjuster Spring
Tighten the adjuster with a screwdriver (rotate it up towards you to tighten). You want to make it easier to take off the spring. This picture is looking up at the assembly.

4.jpg

The first thing to remove is the hold down springs. These are easy to remove with a pair of long needle-nose pliers and a screwdriver. There is a little piece that attaches to the housing from behind the assembly. Be careful not to lose these. There is one on the right and left side.
Hold Down Spring
5.jpg

Once the two hold down springs are removed, you can take off the adjuster spring then the adjuster. The picture above shows those two components.

Now you can take off the retracting springs at the top of the assembly. These are stronger than the adjuster spring, so a bit harder to take off. Remove the one facing you first, then the brake pads will move so easily you can get behind them to remove the second retracting spring.
Retracting Spring

7.jpg

Now you should have all the parts removed and a bare assembly site to put everything back together on.
Bare Site

8.jpg

All the parts

9.jpg

Edit by Turdle.

add these parts to be removed. Parking brake levers. When assembled correctly they will be stamped for the correct side, but beware, you can assemble them incorrectly and get the same stamping, which results in them being in backwards.
replacement kits ofr these are available, however they are listed for f150 and expedition. this results in the stamping being incorrect, but, otherwise they will be the same parts. Use pics for proper assembly and everything should go well.
Dorman 924741 is the part number. This is what you get in the box

View attachment 98213

View attachment 98212

In my experience and after reading thru this thread, I feel the root cause of the e brake issues are from the parking brake levers being siezed , or in a state of lack of motion. This causes the e brakes to not fully release, and then a chain of problems from that.

Be sure to take pictures of how they are assembled, then remove them, clean the real well with a scotch brite. Use emery cloth and brake cleaner. give them a good polishing, then apply a dab of lithium grease to the pivot nipple. Set them aside --way aside and proceed.
/edit

Now spray the site and parts down with brake cleaner. If your car was anything like mine it is filled with the stuff.

Now you are ready to start putting everything back together. If you have someone to help you, it can save you a lot of headaches--but it can be done alone.

Connect the two brake pads with the back retractor spring. You can slide it between the axle and the top of the assembly as shown in this picture. The top of the pads are notched so they fit snug where the lever pushes them. I had to move the lever with a screwdriver to get the left side to fit.

10.jpg

Now you can choose the path you want to take:
1) Attach the front retractor spring now, then put the adjuster and adjuster spring on.
2) Put the adjuster and adjuster spring on first, then the front retractor spring.

I did #2 because it was too hard to spread the bottom of the pads to get the adjuster in with both springs on. You might have an easier time with it so go for it!

So spread the pads outward at the bottom and insert the adjuster. Then insert the adjuster spring. This will help keep the pads together when you are getting that last retracting spring on.

Now put the front adjusting spring on. This was hard to do, I used a pair of spring pliers (for drum brakes) to get it over and my buddy snapped it in place with the needle-nose. The angle is tough because of the axle in the way but you can do it. If you can't get it on the right side, try it on the left.

11.jpg

The last pieces of the assembly are the hold down springs. Hold the piece on the back of the brake shield with one hand then use a pair of needle nose to get them back in. If you have a pair of angled needle-nose they would work great here. It took me a few tries but I got them back on. Now everything is back together.
EDIT FROM TURDLE.

PLEASE SEE POST 930 IN THIS THREAD FOR A TOOL UNDER 10 BUX THAT WILL ATTACH THIS SPRING EASILY! Betty's "I want to be a mule" progress log thread

OEM 25000 is the tool. Buy it!

/edit

Adjustment
Now you can expand the adjuster outward by rotating the notched wheel away from you. Expand it out a quarter/half inch and put the rotor back on. If it slides on easily, take it off and expand it some more. When you get it wide enough where there is resistance putting the rotor back on--back it off a bit and you are good to go. Put the rotor, caliper, and wheel back on. Now you are ready for the other side!

Don't forget to remove the nail/drill bit from the hole by the parking brake lever!

I hope this can help someone. If you have any tips or if I said anything blatently wrong please respond!

Thanks
Thanks for the thread! can you separate the hub? from the axle??

I noticed that the 02 to 10 Explorers do not use two retractor springs on top. It does not have the one that is the booger on the back side. Has anyone just left the back spring off?

Barry
I wasn't going to mention, but on my 99, that top hidden PITA Spring went flying, didn't bother to retrieve.
Seem to work just fine. 4 months

Back