• Register Today It's free!

How to remove drivers door panel?

shaker1

Reaction score
City, State
Algonquin, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4X4 4.0
I'd like to remove my drivers door panel so I can try and ""massage" out a small ding.

Can anyone offer a quick rundown on removing what I need to get at the inner door?

TIA

Best tool to try and rub out a very small ding from inside?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

remove the 2 philips screws

then with a putty knife or something like it, start on your lower feft corner and slowly pry the panel away from the door. All it is held on with is the small white plugs (easily replaced if they break).

The panel is very fragile, so do it with TLC.

remove the 2 philips screws

then with a putty knife or something like it, start on your lower feft corner and slowly pry the panel away from the door. All it is held on with is the small white plugs (easily replaced if they break).

The panel is very fragile, so do it with TLC.

First, don't do ANYTHING he said above.

Yours is an '06. Remove the two screws at the bottom of the door panel. Remove the plastic cover on the pull-handle. Remove the plastic cover over the side of the window switches. Remove the two bolts in the pull handle, and the two bolts that are pretty much buried behind the door opener handle. Slide the whole door panel up. Done.

Thanks guys.

I figger I'll use a screwdriver handle and run it parallel to the crease (about 3/4") and try to remove it. Frikken door skin couldn't be softer!

How the ding got there is a study in stupidity. I was climbing out of the back seat in my GT500, after cleaning the rear window, and lost my balance hitting the Ex with the Shelby's door! The good news is, no mark on the Shelby!

Ok, got it. There were 2 screws in the front of the switch panel and 4 connectors, plus the latch release cable(inside). The switch panel cover acts like it is going to break, but finally releases.

Got most of the ding out with a home made tool. Guess it will have to do, unless I want to pay a pro. Or I find a more appropriate tool.

Thanks again.

Try the air duster/heat gun method.

OK, I tried the hairdryer and dust off method, but due to it's relatively small size and slight creasing, no love!

Anyhow, I minimized it a little more from inside and am letting it go before I make it worse.

Thanks again.

Back